Chapter 2 - Emma

Even though we changed the subject and talked about random things, I still have aftershocks on the tremendous news that my friend spilled to me and I wonder why I am affected so much, in the extent that it appeared on my mind like a growing mushroom.

After the ivory-haired boy walked me home, I twisted the metal doorknob to unlock it and the aroma of my aunt's signature dish swooned within my nasal cavity as my stomach suddenly want to dig in right away once I stepped into the household. Yet, my appreciation on the food disrupted when I feel a tug on the hem of my skirt, looking upon towards to my small and cute cousin, Phil — he's also an excellent student in Gracefield Academy and he's currently in third grade. Somehow, he will outsmart me, just like how Norman works during that era, whereas some of our classmates humiliated him first due to his weak physical attributes but he dropped the bomb by showcasing his wisdom.

"Welcome home, Emma!" he cheerfully greeted me, a wide smile plastered on his face and followed it with small laugh. 'So cute!' I mentally squealed, forearms scrunched in a moment. I slightly bend my body in order to reach his cheeks and pinched it playfully. "I'm home, Phil!" Then, my fingers went on the back off my shoe to pull it lightly, wore it off and put it on the shoe rack, which located on my right side.

Regaining my posture, I started to manouver on the household, Phil's left hand held unto mine, and asked, "How's school?"

I felt his aniticipating gaze — yet, my eyes still wander on our cozy home, probably finding the food I smelled earlier. Then, I heard him speak. "We have our weekly exam today! The test is sort of difficult because some of them are purely from our aptitude skills." And changed into gleeful tone. "but I got the highest mark in our class!"

Once we are in the dining area, whereas his mother put the large bowl of homemade tempura ramen on the table, my proud eyes diverted to Phil, who's already fixated his orbs unto me and ruffled his hair. "Congratulations! You're so smart!" The ravenette kid is quite happy on what he've heard and returned a candor smile to me. 'I can't even—'

"Welcome home, Emma." My aunt said as she walked towards us, wearing a same beam as her child over here but her eyes wavered with curiosity. "It's rare for you to come home early."

I stared at her in a moment until the realization crashed to me. "Oh! I forgot to tell you!" I released a sheepish chortle in my mouth, rubbing my nape lightly, and continued. "I quit in track and field club a day before and yesterday, my underclassmen gives me a surprise farewell party."

She seems understand the reason of my sudden resignation. She put her delicate hand to Phil's back, muttering to sit down on the vacant seat because we will start to eat later and Phil followed her request. "Is it because on your preparation in high school entrance exam in Gracefield Academy?"

Eyes glistening, I bobbed my head. "Yes! And I'll take scholarship exam to get full tuition fee."

Thereafter, she went back to the kitchen to take the tablewares from the dish rack and set them on the table. On the other hand, I started to climb upstairs, right hand grasped on the handrail, to go in my room and change my uniform to casual clothes.

••• ⓉⒾⓂ︎Ⓔ ⓈⓀⒾⓅ •••

The way of teaching in Gracefield is quite stern, wherein the students will be the one who teaches themselves first to measure the understanding of every individual and in the end of the day, they'll fill the void of everyone's concept, for us, to know completely the true context of the topic. That's why our classes were decreasing each semester because of this kind of system. Although we're living in this kind of situation, the school still attained its equilibrium in order to enjoy ourselves in their institution while developing ourselves as a future holder of this competitive society.