Prologue

My parents didn't know what to think about Draco. He was polite and respectful, but they seemed uneasy around him. It was probably because they had heard so much about him from me before he had saved Harry's life. They weren't sure if he really was good or not. I had ranted and raved about how awful and rude and small-minded he was for years, and suddenly... I don't know... he was good. They were never mean to him, never showed their discomfert, never confided their doubts in me, but I knew. I knew more than I should have about everyone, except Draco, which is more than enough in my book to draw me to someone. He was a mystery, and that's why he fascinated me.

Draco had been staying with me on Dumbledore's request. Ever since he pulled Harry out of the Riddle house a year ago, he's been on the run. Dumbledore had set aside a plan, in case anyone needed to go into hiding, before he died. He said that if anyone was in need of a hiding place, they should go where they were least expected. It sounded simple, but if the spot were too obvious, then the person hiding the fugitive would be in danger too. Dumbledore had created a spell before his murder that would tell you a person's safest hiding spot. Since the enemy could use this spell as a weapon, the incantation was nonverbal and highly coveted by the order. It told the spell caster the answer mentally. The place where Draco would be safest was at my parent's home in the Vermont Mountains, in America.

I couldn't tell anyone that Draco was living with me in America as I did research on American muggles for the Ministry. Not even Harry and Ron knew that he had traveled. When Harry, Ron, Ginny, and other members of the order had seen me off at the airport (part of my research was on airplanes) Draco had been under Moody's spare invisibility cloak. After they left he had gone into the bathroom and taken it off. Draco had no one to see him off; Voldemort had killed both of his parents. Everyone had changed in the war, Harry and Ron included, but no one had been affected as much as Draco. He was no longer sarcastic, mean, or talkative. In fact, he was silent until our plane was far up in the air.