2. Made it

Draco didn't say much as we got off the plane. He didn't say anything as we went through customs, or as we got our baggage. He only spoke when we were in the cab my parents had booked for me on our way home.

"Draco?" I'd asked, watching his as he pressed his forehead against the cold window.

"Yeah?" He said without turning around. I gulped.

"Why did you call me Hermione on the plane? Why did you stop calling me Granger?" The old Draco would have snapped back with a witty retort, but he took a couple minutes to formulate his answer. He turned around, looking blank. I shivered again. Damn, what was wrong with me?

"Because you called me Draco," he answered. I felt like he was telling me a secret, like he was revealing his good side or something to that degree. I felt a smile sneak across my face. The corners of his mouth turned up slightly as well, before he turned back to the window.

"You should start to prepare yourself for my parents, their comments aren't always guarded towards your feelings." I felt nervous talking about my family, since he no longer had one. He didn't seem to have minded though, so I plowed on. "My father is nice, but he has a lot of mood swings and could be really mean sometimes. My mother is really sharp, and kind of a control freak. She likes to feel in control of the conversation, and is often really rude, but she's nice under it all." I paused, not knowing what to say. "Just watch your back."

"Look what I grew up with," he said raggedly.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think," I stammered, mortified. He had death eaters for parents, mine seemed like strawberry shortcake.

"Don't apologize," he murmured to the window, spreading fog across its surface. "They're not a problem any longer." A mix of gloom and sarcasm mingled in his voice. I didn't know what to say to that, so I just took a deep breath and watched the street lamps as we passed them. After twenty minutes of silence the endless line of the tall poles ended, and there was no light other than the glow of the dashboard. Draco seemed more comfortable in the dark. It didn't surprise me. When the car made a sharp turn and began to climb a large hill, I could tell that I was home.

My parents weren't awake when we entered the house. Mom wrote a note saying that they would meet us the morning and they had made up the guest room.

"They went to sleep," I told Draco, who was admiring the kitchen. It was mainly steal and glass, and state of the art. He ran a finger over the glass island in the middle of the room. "You need a snack?" I asked, lost for words. It felt so strange to be standing in the kitchen of my parent's summer home alone with Draco Malfoy. He shook his head. "I would give you the tour, but I'm sure you just want to go to sleep." He nodded and stifled a yawn. "Follow me."

We walked down the hallways of the mansion through the semidarkness. I knew each step by heart from the years of summer vacation spent here with my family. When we got to the guest room I found the light switch and lit up the room. It was a large room with two twin beds at either end. There was a desk between them and a door next to the one we had come through that led to the bathroom. I dropped my luggage next to the nearest bed, on which sat a pink teddy bear that I had played with in my childhood. Again I felt embarrassment flood through me as I lunged for it, knocking it to the floor between the mattress and the wall. I slowly turned around, bracing myself for the sarcastic insult that Draco would deliver, but he said nothing, just turned around and walked over to the other bed. He sat on it gingerly.

"There's a bathroom through there," I said, motioning to the second door. Once again he said nothing, just started unlacing his shoes. I scooter down to the edge of my bed and rummaged thought my suitcase for my pajamas. When I found them I added, "I'm gonna go change." When I returned he was in bed, just staring at the ceiling. I flipped off the light and crept into bed. "Goodnight," I said, then rolled over. When I got no response, I closed my eyes.