10. New years eve

Harry, Ginny, and Ron were all thrilled when I invited them. Ginny seemed nervous when I flooed her on New Year's Eve, but was happy just the same. Since Harry was with her she didn't say anything, but she looked at me quizzically. Draco and I had decided that we would catch up for a while then I would tell them. He would come in once they had calmed down and hopefully we would have a happy night together. I wasn't so sure the plan would work, and when the gang stepped out of the kitchen fireplace, my hands were shaking.

"Hey Hermy," Harry said as he enveloped me in a bear hug. He was taller than I had last seen him, and I could tell he was stressed out. I couldn't blame him, being head of the auror office was an important job and they were still trying to track down Rookwood, one of the last remaining death eater. Ron hugged me next and whispered in my ear,

"It's so nice to see you." My worries intensified, and I felt my heart speed up more than I had thought possible. This was not going to be easy. He had gotten taller too, and a lot of the freckles from childhood had disappeared. He was handsome, little ickle Ronniekins was cute! However, clichéd as it was, I only had eyes for eyes Draco. Ginny was too big to hug, being well into her ninth month of pregnancy, so we high-fived instead.

"Where are the folks?" Harry asked, wrapping his arm around her. Ron wandered around the kitchen, randomly poking different appliances. I heard him mumble something under his breath about how mad muggles were. He leapt back in surprise when he turned on the microwave. Ginny went and turned it off.

"They're at a friend's house watching the ball drop," I answered ushering the group into the living room.

"What ball?" Harry asked curiously. Ron looked away from my father's stereo hopefully.

"Quidditch?" I sighed; he hadn't changed a bit.

"No Ronald," I said as he dived for the bowl of chips. "Every new year's eve muggles gather in New York City to watch this big glass ball that lowers as the count down to the new-year."

"Why?" Ron asked through a mouthful of the snacks.

"Because they just do." Harry changed the subject.

"So how's being a teacher? Professor?" Ron waved the comment off.

"My students call me Ron. I'm not old enough to be called Professor." Harry sat down on the couch next to Ginny and I took a seat across from them. "You wouldn't believe how rude some of these little brats are. There's a kid just like Malfoy in my class, blond, obnoxious, stuck up little git." I gulped and Ginny looked across at me sympathetically. "Speaking of Malfoy, has anyone heard about him lately? He completely disappeared! I hope he's not trying to round up the Death eaters again." Thankfully, Ginny came to my defense.

"Surely he wouldn't do that! He saved Harry's life, why would he go bad again?" Harry nodded in agreement.

"We have most of the Death eaters being monitored as well, we would know if he was trying anything. Ron shook his head.

"I'm just not sure." He scooped up more chips. "There's just no way to know." I could help myself.

"Yes, there is, Draco's harmless," the words came spilling out. Once I'd said them, I wanted to shove them back in my mouth. Ron stopped chewing and Harry sat bolt upright in his seat.

"Why'd you call that git Draco?" Anger bubbled through me. Stupid jackass bastard with his stupid red hair.

"Don't call him a git!" Ron stood up, his face getting slightly red. Harry and Ginny stared at us, eyes wide, turning back and forth, like they were watching a quaffle.

"Why are you defending him?" His hands waved around in dismay.

"He saved Harry's life!" I yelled, but I knew it was a weak reason. Harry entered the argument.