4. Your secret is safe

Meeting my dad went smoother than meeting my mom. He must have had the morning's events relayed to him. He was extra polite and shook Draco's hand. After their introduction they played foosball in my father's game room in the basement. I watched as Draco slaughtered my dad. They took a break when dad went to get him another soda. Draco sat next to me on top of the ping-pong table.

"Your dad's nice," he said while flexing his sore fingers. I smiled.

"Not all Grangers are mean," I said coyly. He looked at me, puzzled.

"I already knew that," he said. I felt warmth spread through me to my toes. My dad came down the stairs, and handed him the soda. They proceeded to play until six, when my dad gave up after being beaten in foosball, ping-pong, pool, and air hockey, none of which Draco had ever played before. Mom announced that we were going out for dinner to a sushi place in town. I pulled her aside before she trooped to the car and gave a stern warning that if she upset Draco again she would be on the receiving end of a slug hex, å la Ron. The evening went smoothly, and she redeemed herself in my eyes by teaching a very befuddled Draco how to use chopsticks. That night I taught him how to use the TV and CD player. We watched "The Wizard of Oz" with my parents as well, at which I laughed hysterically and he cracked a few smiles. When I said goodnight in bed, he even said goodnight back. He was starting to relax, and I was thankful for it.

I woke up early from another bad dream. Yet again it features Harry being pulled into the ground while I scrambled to pull him out. Sweat was on my face and the sheets were tangled around my legs. It was still dark outside and Draco was still asleep. I was glad he couldn't see me like this. From the little moonlight that slid through the window I cold see that Draco left his parchment out. Why couldn't I just take a peak? He was asleep after all, what would be the harm? He was facing the other direction as well. I wiped my forehead on my sleeve then slowly got up and tiptoed across the carpet, pulling my nightgown down, which had ridden up as I had tossed and turned. The parchment had taken a beating. It had been scratched out in numerous places; ink had been spilled in some of the corners. The parchment had been rolled up, flattened out, and creased but you could still see the words, written in neat script. With one last look at him to make sure that he was asleep, I sat down and began to read.

Falling

With no one to catch me

Falling

I don't see anyone

Falling

There's no one below me

Falling

Away from the sun

I'm falling

Falling towards the end of life

Falling to where there is no light

Falling to where it's always night

Falling towards the end.

It went on, but I couldn't continue. This was personal, like a diary, and I had no business reading it. Writing was where Draco turned when he found comfort. Maybe one day he would share this with me, but now was no the time.

"Your secret's safe with me, Draco," I murmured, and he stirred, rolling over onto his back. His face was paler then usual, and his mouth was moving, as if he were talking. I padded over to him, bent over, and kissed him on the forehead. I don't know what made me do it, he could have woken up, but he didn't. He smiled sleepily, and his hair fell into his closed eyes. I padded back to my bed and fell fast asleep, and had no bad dreams.