Part 8

EIGHT:

As Finn pulled up outside the School, there were beautifully-dressed seniors milling around and the anxious shape of Heather waiting, looking stunning in a fitted strapless silver gown. Dagur was at her side, his Tuxedo pressed and a bronze bow tie at his throat. He looked uncomfortable and the shapes of the other jocks, all teasing him probably wasn't helping. Astrid unfastened her safety belt before she smiled to her Uncle.

"You have a fabulous time, Astrid," he murmured and kissed her cheek. "Call me when you want to be picked up and I'll be there."

"What will you be doing?" she asked and he grinned.

"Leisurely bath, a super-hot pizza and binge-watching 'Guess My Vegetable'," he admitted without shame. "Gods, I miss a normal life. And that show...it's just like being home..." Astrid chuckled and opened the door. She had fond memories of her Father and Uncle sitting in front of the TV watching the hit game show, each with a can of mead in his hand and yelling the answers in the 'speed vegetable' round from before her Dad had died.

"Have fun," she laughed and watched him drive off as she turned to her friends.

"Astrid!" Heather's yell coincided with her running forward to hug her. "I thought you weren't coming!" Hugging her back, the blonde gave a shrug.

"I was out with Finn and we just lost track of time," she said. "I mean, we were catching up. I've been out of contact for three years and...well, it was just like being back to before Dad died." The raven-haired girl looked ashamed at her irritation and sighed.

"It's fine," she sighed. "I sometimes forget how lucky we all are to have all our family. It's just...Dag was just getting a bit worried..." But Astrid sighed.

"I always keep my word," she reminded her friend. "Even though it feels like I'm just doing this to make Dag feel okay. I know this is a big thing for you all but it's not really for me. And Dagur isn't my Valentine." The muscular man walked up, his carrot-red hair gelled up almost into a short Mohican and clean shaven and he shrugged. Fortunately, the others had vanished inside, making the conversation less awkward.

"I can live with that," he admitted, offering her his arm. "If you can?"

"Platonic," Astrid said sternly. "No smooching, no trying anything on, no acting out for those muttonheaded nitwits you call your friends. I will dance once with you and then I will decided whether or not we do any more. Okay?" Dagur's green eyes widened and then he smiled, leaning forward.

"You know you're not my type either?" he murmured and she nodded.

"Heather told me years ago," she whispered back. "You're better than those morons, Dagur. We can still have some fun watching them make idiots of themselves..." He held out a fist.

"Don't leave me hanging," he asked her with a twinkle in his eyes. "Friends?" With a small smile, Astrid touched her fist against his.

"Friends," she confirmed as he offered her his arm and she slid hers through it. Heather grinned.

"You look fabulous, Asti," she added as Astrid blushed.

"You look pretty fabulous yourself, Heather," she replied. "Shall we go in and face the music?" Heather rolled her eyes, for she knew that Thuggory was already inside and would be chugging the supposedly-not mead punch and making snarky comments about the other Seniors present at the dance. The School Gym was decorated with hearts and streamers and cupids and muted romantic music was playing. There were a selection of tables to one side and the buffet was laid out, with Snotlout standing by it, his plate piled high with food. Atali was hanging onto the tall and muscular shape Ryker Grimborn.