Part 27

TWENTY SEVEN:

"Whatever you want!" Finn's voice was calm but a small smile lifted his lips he sat in one of the chairs at 'Freya's', the premier Prom Dress and Occasionwear Outfitters in Berk. Ingrid sat beside him, gazing proudly as Astrid inspected the racks, her keen eyes sweeping over a plethora of gowns.

"You could help," she said reproachfully and Ingrid gave a small smile.

"Really?" she asked softly. "Because I don't want you to feel as if I'm projecting my own Prom experience..."

"Mom," the girl said in a stern voice, folding her arms across her chest, "I know what I like and if you try to dress me like they did in Caveman times, then I will reject whatever you offer." Finn smothered his chuckle and made it sound like a cough. "But you are my Mom and this is one of the few mother-daughter horribly girly outings that I was actually looking forward to!" Ingrid grinned as Finn fell silent. "And you don't need to feel awkward, Uncle Finn," she continued, turning to hug him. "I'm glad you're here. But you're not a girl..."

"Thank Thor," he replied, his eyes twinkling. "One thing Ivan and I completely agreed on was that women's clothing seems far too complicated for the simple male brain..." He winked as Astrid took her mother's hand and sighed. "So I'm looking for aqua blue, silver, white..." Her Mom smiled and headed for the racks of gowns.

"That should be simple enough," she said.

An hour and a half later, they had tried on almost every suitably coloured gown in the shop and Astrid still wasn't satisfied. She had identified a spectacular off-the shoulder white satin gown with silhouette-hugging skirt and a knee high slit that was scattered with delicate pearls across the bodice and in a cascade down the skirt but it felt far too beautiful for the Prom. They had Astrid's size but she frowned and looked perplexed.

"Don't worry about the cost," Finn assured her but she shook her head.

"It's beautiful and I know it's a proper designer piece but it just feels too fancy for the Gym," she sighed. "I-I always imagined I would know when I found the dress. That it would feel right. Because I'm dressing for Hiccup...and Mom and Dad...and you..." A pensive expression crossed her face and for a moment, she looked sad. "I always imagined Dad would be here...and I know it's stupid because he's been gone years but..." She shrugged helplessly. "It's not right for the Prom..."

Ingrid walked to the back of the shop, hearing her daughter's words and understanding. Finn was very patient and his offer to pay was really generous but Ingrid and her husband, Ivan, had talked about the Prom when he was dying and he had used some of his precious remaining time to sell his own father's vintage watch to ensure that there was money for Astrid's Prom, the Prom he would never see but wanted to be part of all the same. And faithfully, through all their troubles, Ingrid had respected his wishes. Somehow, she wanted her daughter to have a perfect Prom as well. And then she frowned, stumbling and catching sight of a sliver of blue. She walked forward and pulled out some of the gowns crammed in the 'last season' section, to reveal a perfect sky blue silk and satin gown with a single asymmetric shoulder, elegant boned bodice and full length 1930's silhouette. Delicate stitching in silver marked out a beautiful art deco motif across the bodice. Ingrid peered at the label and realised it was Astrid's size-a miracle for it was the only one. She held it up and walked forward.

"How about this?" she suggested as Astrid's eyes widened and her lips lifted in an astonished smile.

"It's beautiful," she mouthed, trotting forward to grab it and try it on. As she did, Ingrid sat down by the film producer and leaned close.

"I'm paying for the dress," she said in a low voice as Finn's eyes widened. "Or more precisely...Ivan is." Fin inspected her carefully.

"Are you sure?" he asked her in a low voice and she nodded.