Part 23

TWENTY THREE:

Ruff had succeeded in her job of taking some excellent videos of the performances and she and Fish had posted them on BerkBook. Neither Hiccup nor Astrid had been aware this had been in the plan but they managed to laugh at their performances-and Astrid made Hiccup watch himself perform, pointing out he actually looked like a rock star with his wild auburn mop and searing emerald eyes.

"And I hope you realise that they're only for you," he pointed out, smiling.

"Good answer," she murmured, squeezing his hand.

Ingrid, Finn and Stoick had been shown the videos and they all agreed that the surprise had been amazing and that Hiccup and his friends had been astonishing in their skill. They also agreed that Astrid's response was pitch perfect and that the teens were a sweet couple and deserved each other. Hiccup spent Saturday evening over with Astrid, Ingrid and Finn and Stoick had come round as well, joining his old friend and having what for all intents and purposes was a good old-fashioned family meal together. Afterwards, Finn and Stoick had retired to the living room with beers and Ingrid had bustled round to tidy up then retired to let the teens spend time together in the kitchen.

"You know, I was scared I would mess it up and you would drop me like the worthless loser I am," Hiccup told her, his tone dry. She sighed and shook her head.

"You doofus!" she scolded him. "That was the best surprise that I ever had. And you kept the fact that you're a kick-ass musician from me!" He gave a small chuckle.

"I'm not that good-I just play for fun,' he murmured.

"Interesting choice of songs," she commented. He blushed.

"I play what I like-and Dad and Gobber have had some serious influences on my musical tastes," he confessed. "Besides, classics are classics because they're really, really good and stand the test of time."

"You changed the words to 'Angels'!" she pointed out and he sipped his hot chocolate-Stoick had made his special chocolate for the teens and Ingrid as a thanks for the invitation-before smirking.

"I prefer Valkyries," he murmured. "More precisely...you! And no one minded..."

"Ruff muttered but you're right," Astrid confessed. "And it was very sweet."

"Well, you made me into a Viking and gave me a coda...so the least I could do was to serenade you and try to tell you how much you mean to me,' he explained. "I mean, you have stood by me through some of the worst days of my life and you just light up my day. And I'm sorry this sounds a bit pathetic and needy but it's all true. I can never apologise for how I treated you when you first arrived and how I should have made up for it sooner..." She leaned forward and rested her forehead against his.

"Hiccup-we both know I wasn't going to accept anything until I was ready," she told him honestly. "And maybe it took Mom's illness and Finn's return to give me this chance. But what stuck was that you asked if I was okay. You knew I looked sad. And it was so telling that you were the only person who noted. I neglected you as well, you know. It was my fault that you ended up in that dumpster. I gave them the opportunity and you ended up hurt. And I never wanted that. Ever."

"I think we both needed the push," he smiled. "And I will never regret stepping up at the Valentine's Dance because you needed me and I had to be there for you!"

"You are so sappy," she told him. "But I was so happy that you came when I needed rescuing..." And then she smiled. "You know that I want you to be my date at the Prom?" His eyes widened and he gasped.

"Me?' he checked and then he pulled back to look into her face. "Are you sure? I mean, I was kicked out of the last dance I was at for fighting. I'm a scrawny auburn fishbone and you are the sizzling Valkyrie and soon-to-be film star! And...I would love to." She gave a relieved sigh.