What Now, Papa?

Reversed Promised Neverland AU

This story is unrelated from the original plot!

Papa!Ray x Child!Reader

[Angst?]

Requested by: Anonymous

You climbed up to the top of the tallest tree near the concrete wall. The books you held so dearly were wrapped together by your makeshift rope and you pulled them up to you.

After stationing yourself against the tree, you chucked the books over the wall. They slide and fall over the edge. You pulled the rope stopping the books from falling down. You used it as an anchor, jumping from the branch and slowly walking up the wall as the books pulled you up.

An arm's length away from the top, you reached with one hand. Pushing yourself, you grabbed onto the ledge. You let go of the rope and the books drop down.

You swung your elbow up, you felt your grip loosen from the sweat of your palms. Bringing your knee up, you finally pulled yourself up on the wall.

Panting, you laid on your back. Trying to catch your breath, you smiled. You wiped the sweat off your forehead, sighing with sweet victory.

Suddenly, you hear a soft thud. The books? You thought. It didn't make sense to you because you let go of them a while ago. They should have hit the ground the second you dropped it.

Rolling over, you crawled over to the edge. Looking down, your heart suddenly dropped to your stomach. Your lips quivered in disbelief.

"A-A cliff..." Your voice was tight.

You felt sick, you felt so hopeless. A second ago you thought about all the things you would do once you would get out of this plant. But you stared down, the bottom was dark and so far from where you were.

"No..." Your breathing quicken.

Just turning your head, you saw it scaled for miles a bottomless pit, waiting to swallow you whole.

You began to feel nauseous, your escape was useless. All your efforts were useless.

You stood up onto your feet, not taking your eyes off the cliff. The wind came up and blew against your face, ruffling your hair in different directions.

Looking beyond, there were trees. A huge forest with a large river flowing through. The sun was covered with thick clouds.

Feeling betrayed, you took a few steps back. Your eyes were wide with sadness. You covered your mouth with your shaking hands, fighting the urge to scream your lungs out.

That's it, your chance at another life was taken by this gaping cliff. An impossible jump, you didn't want to think about it.

Your 12th birthday was a week from today.

•••

You clutched your white pillow as you buried your face into it, trying to mute your sobs. Although everyone was called for dinner, you couldn't find your appetite.

You didn't cry because you skipped dinner. You cried because you were dying next week, you were going to be eaten by those filthy demons.

"[Y/N], we started eating dinner." A deep voice was heard from the door.

You couldn't lift your head from your pillow, scared that Ray was going to find out about your escape attempt. He always finds out all your problems.

"Papa, I don't feel so good..." You groaned.

Ray walks up to your bed, he places a plate full of hot food on your side table. Ray sits next to you. Your heart picks up the pace, you became anxious.