Destiny's Taunting

Soulmate AU!

Ray x Reader

[Fluff/Borderline Angst]

Requested by: LapsusAngelus

All your life, you had to keep wearing long sleeves in order to keep this strange phenomenon a secret. Thinking it was some kind of skin condition, you continued to hide your arms from your brothers and sisters and from your Mama, of course.

Like magic, it appeared out of thin air and you couldn't wipe it off without any water. It started out with little scribbles and doodles of stick people as if a child has drawn over your arms and legs. Each day you would wake up feeling tingles all over your body and you had to roll yourself up in the blankets to waddle towards the bathroom and wash everything off.

It was until a name was written on your left wrist, you had not touched a single pen or marker beforehand. It was new for you, you grew used to the mini drawings and smiley faces that you wouldn't have thought about the person behind all this.

The name Ray was in bold, black ink. You grew skeptical, thinking that this was some kind of practical joke. However, you were still curious about how it got there and none of your brothers or sisters had that name.

Curiosity killed the cat as you searched for a black marker in the playroom and retreated to the library. Popping the cap open, the crinkling of your eyebrows subsided as you rolled your sleeve up and placed the marker on your left wrist.

You wrote a question mark beside the name, raising your arm up to stare at it for a while. You felt like a crazy person as you poked at your skin, it was like waiting for a response from your adopted siblings. It felt useless, your efforts for getting answers were always thrown out the window.

"My name..."

It felt a little itchy when the black ink appeared on your skin once again. You felt your breath hitch as you watched the words come together in real-time, every stroke of the letters can be seen while it was being written.

"My name is Ray."

It was not the skin condition you thought it was, but it was a way of communicating with someone who might be outside of the house. The first three words were written above the name, implying that this ghost, spirit or another child was going through this strange phenomenon as well.

"My name is Ray, 81194."

Written beside the name, you assumed it was their identification number. You have never seen one like that, it was not a code that your family has. More questions filled your head as you stared at Ray's response, you reached for your trusty marker again and wrote under his sentence.

"I'm [Y/N], DCV495-194."

Unconsciously, you ran your hand over your collarbone soothingly because you grew anxious, thinking that you were breaking the rules by communicating with another person outside. You rested your head on the table as you stared at your ink covered arm, the amber light from the lantern surrounded you with warmth.

"Glory Bell?" Ray writes.

"No, Grand Valley." You responded.

There was a pause.

The ink bleeds over, "I'm from Gracefield."

You looked up in thought, remembering that your Mama has mentioned four other houses that orphans stay in. She said that your house was the only one that had the smartest, strongest, most special kids and that there is no competition.