Let Me Go, Papa

Reverse TPN AU!

Papa!Ray x Child!Reader Part 2

[Angst/Borderline fluff]

Requested by: KiyomiMurakami

Listening to Emma’s Determination, Escape Reasoning, and The Promised Neverland (Epf solo Version) from the OST, respectfully, might get you into the story a little more.

Light shines up through the floorboards, your face presses against the wooden planks as you stare through the crack. You close an eye as you studied the room below, no one seemed to be down there but you had to make sure that the room was empty.

A bell was heard ringing in the hallway, the sound of little feet running around echoed right after. Just when you thought it was safe to exit, the library doors swing open. You gulped when a little boy enters the room, he grabs a book from the shelf before leaving.

It was nighttime, the children were finally getting ready for bed. They all rush to their rooms, eagerly waiting for their Papa to read them a bedtime story. Not only did you miss that nightly routine, but you also missed being surrounded by your younger brothers and sisters.

You saw this as a green light to come out of your hiding spot, opening the ceiling’s hatch. It was a small, square-looking door that had a round handle attached, you opened it with caution

 Light floods up and you can see freshly made food sitting on top of the desk's table, your mouth almost waters at the sight. Carefully, you placed your bare feet on the mahogany shelf and balanced yourself. Using the ladder leaning against the wall, you grabbed onto it and slowly made your way down.

Walking towards the food, your pale face was hit with the warm steam you haven't felt in a long time. The smell of the rice and chicken made your eyes sparkle and stomach grumble. You immediately grabbed the waiting spoon and fork, digging into your food straight away. A delightful hum came from you, you sunk down onto the chair and slouched against the table.

But it was never supposed to be like this, your life was supposed to end the moment you turned twelve. It's been two weeks since your suicide attempt and your existence is only known to one man; your Papa who has a heart that bleeds for you. He is the sole reason you chose to live because Ray knew he would die without you.

So, here starts the illegal action, keeping a top scorer from leaving the house. During the day you would stay in the attic, peaking through the floorboards and rolling around in the dust like a forgotten doll. One thing that manages to spark your interest is a window that shows the forest. Most of the time you watch the children flood outside, once you knew it was safe, you would head downstairs to steal a snack.

You can handle it yet the moment nighttime hits, the attic becomes cold and dark which frightens you enough to have a restless sleep. So, Ray has made an arrangement where you sleep in his secret room, it was filled with forgotten toys, and there was the radio he told you not to touch. It may be dusty and dim, but it is warmer than staying in the attic and it’s only a door frame away from where Ray was.

And sometimes he doesn’t even sleep.

You remember waking up in the middle of the night to Ray being punished because he lost his only "premium quality". Grandpa, Ray’s former Papa, the one who used to play lullabies on the mandolin, has turned into a cruel man.

You recall him scolding Ray through the radio, referring to you as an “it” and your identification number, XX494. It was a bitter memory, watching him turn around to see if you were awake and realizing that you were, his expression was pure misery. Absolute agony, maybe a little bit of regret for keeping you alive.