1

Black and blue suits blurred past me as the office bustled loudly

Black and blue suits blurred past me as the office bustled loudly. The sound of ringing phones mingled with multiple conversations created a never ending hum in my ears as I waited patiently in an old chair stuffed in the back corner of the room. My fingers drummed impatiently against my knees while I watched the on duty officers scramble around the room. I entertained myself by imagining them as little army ants.

Even the chief was bustling around his office as he moved stacks of paper work to file cabinets and others to trash cans. I can only see so much through his window as the Officer who offered to help me slipped inside. They talked for a moment but I knew things were going left as the Chief's already angry face turned furious.

"Does it look like I have the time to console every crying woman that walks in here, John?" The Chief slammed his hands on his desk before stabbing a finger at his officer, "Last thing I need is another missing persons case!" I couldn't hear Officer John as he responded but I knew he was trying as his hands motioned towards me. The chief's eyes followed and he stood still for a moment. I could only offer a small wave before a sigh left his big chest and he rubbed a hand down his face.

Chief seemed calmer as he talked normally, forcing me to read his lips, "You know what?.. Just send her in. Since no one else has the spine to send her home." The officer nodded quickly before stepping back out. I didn't need to be told twice as I quickly stood up and made my way to the office. John held a hand up, "Talk quick and polite. He's not in a good mood." I peek past him to see Chief watching us through his window. I look back to John and nod my head quickly before making my way into the large office.

"Good evening, Chief." I greeted him as soon as I stepped foot inside. He gave me a once over as he stood up, holding his hand out for me to shake, "Good evening, Mrs...?" I grasp his hand tightly and give him a crisp shake, "Ms. Anderson." I introduce myself and take a seat as he nods towards it. The room felt humid and dreary as he sat down after me. I could feel my stomach twist as he opened the file John left, clearing his throat loudly, "As we both know, your sister has "disappeared three days ago" and you have no idea where she could have gone." He reads the file in front of him before throwing it lazily on his desk.

"I'm going to be honest here, cupcake." He grumbles and leans back in his chair, his fingers scratching at his overgrown stubble, "I can't personally help you and neither can the police officers in here." My eyebrows tightened in confusion, I leaned in as my hands gripped the fabric of my dress, "A-And why is that? Can't the police do their job?" I couldn't help snapping as his expression remained bored. He let out a large sigh and shrugged towards the folders, "You're not the only one in this city with problems, lady." He slid the file back towards me but I refused it as I shoved it back.

"My sister could be in danger and your men are more than fully capable of bringing her back!" My voice was raising as I stood up in my chair, placing my hands on his desk. My eyes narrowed and his quickly did the same. Our silence was heavy as he stood with me, leaning just as I did but with a hand moving to rest on the cuffs dangling from his belt loop. "Settle down now, Ms. Anderson.. I don't think you mean to be threatening but it sure seems like you could be." We stood and watched each other for a moment before I stood back up straight, my arms moving to fold across my chest.