eight

"Ruth

"Ruth." Someone was shaking my shoulder. I stirred, turning onto my back. Searing sunlight flooded the white room, and I shielded my eyes from it, squinting. Carlisle was sitting on the edge of the bed, still holding my shoulder. "Morning." He said, smiling.

"It's morning?" I looked next to me. Lex was long gone, the bed cold and made neatly around me.

"Barely. It's almost noon. You've been asleep for almost thirteen hours."

I sat up ina  panic, my heart racing. The last thing I remembered was Lex kissing my forehead. Thirteen hours of pure blackness. I hadn't had a single dream.

"Here." Carlisle gave me a light blue bundle of linen. It was a dress, large buttons marching up the centre. "Get dressed. Lex is in the conference room."

I waited until the door was closed to shuck my silkypyjamas. They were wrinkled and had left little lines along my arm, where I had fallen asleep with the fabric pressed to my skin. I felt the side of my face, sure there were pillow lines in my cheek, but it felt smooth. I dressed quickly, the airy linen falling just above my knees.

The halls were silent, but a calm silent. Everyone was working, but I could feel the safe presence of others around me. In the conference room, Lex was sitting with Carlisle and another man I didn't recognize. They turned to look at me as I came in the door. The strange man moved to close a laptop, but Lex shook his head.