seventeen

Morning came swiftly

I was alone when I woke up . The sun, still low on the horizon, told me it was too early for anyone to be awake. Stretching, I pushed the covers away from my legs. I was awash with sweat, heart still racing from nightmare-induced adrenaline.

I'm getting married today, I reminded myself, heading to shower. I couldn't think too hard about it, or else my mind went into panicked overdrive. Married. Lex's—forever.

By the time I had showered and calmed myself enough to prepare for the day, Carlisle was waiting for me in my bedroom, a black bag over his arm.

"You ready to see the dress?"

Like the rest of the clothes provided for me, the dress fit like a glove. It was simple, perfect, with thin straps and a skirt that billowed out in gauzy layers around my legs, the low back coming to rest right at the base of my spine. Smiling, I turned in a slow circle, admiring myself in the huge mirror. Carlisle had his hands clasped to his chest, eyes glittering.

"You should have gone into fashion, not philosophy," I told him.

"A couple more things, and you're done," he said, beckoning me to him. I stepped away from the makeshift vanity he'd set up to do my makeup. He'd managed to cover my puffy eyes and turn me from a pale, sleep-deprived waif into a doe-eyed, pink cheeked blushing bride.