The New Doctor

Captain's Log, Stardate 41654.7:
We have just left Starbase 74 with five, new, members of our ship. Dr. Beverly Crusher has departed from us for a while, deciding to become head of Starfleet medical. Dr. Amber Presley, a young girl, fresh out of Starfleet Acadamy, has just taken her place, and to say the least, I am worried. She graduated top of her class at age 21, which is close to impossible for any well-known doctor that has ever succeeded after boarding a Ship. The new members are resting in Ten Forward, my orders so I could get to know them better. To get to know their true colors. I am headed that way, with Mr. La Forge in charge of the Bridge, and Mr. Data and my First Officer accompanying me.

"I wonder if this new Doctor is all she's cracked up to be." Riker chuckled as we entered the turbolift.
"Ten Forward," I instructed the computer.
"They told us she is unique in every way." Riker continued. "She flew through the exams as if she'd taken it twenty times."
"If this is true, she will be very useful to the Enterprise. Let us hope everything they say is true." Data nodded, slightly raising his brows.
"Yes. Indeed." I agreed as the doors opened.
"Yes, and the Holodeck has been upgraded. It's outstanding! Earlier, the Commander allowed me and-" Wesley grunted as he crashed into Riker.
"I'm sorry Commander! I-I didn't see you coming..." Wesley stuttered, his face paling. Riker nodded.
"It's fine Wes. Go to your studies now and get off of that new-whatever it is that you've created." Riker raised his brow, inspecting the small square object Wesley had been talking to.
Wesley's face lighted up. "Sir, this is an improved version of the 1937 devise they called the Walkie Talkie."
I furrowed my brows. "Walkie Talkie?" I mumbled as Wesley continued.
"I asked the computer to create one of these, Walkie Talkies. I have modified it to where all you have to do is press this button-" He paused to show it to us. "and it will inform whomever I would like to speak with, that I would like to talk! I could also see them on this little screen..." Wesley ranted, showing me the little screen.
"From my resources," Data began, staring at me. "the original name of this 'Walkie Talkie,' was not 'Walkie Talkie,' but instead 'Packset.' Later, in 1940, it became known as Wesley stated, the Walkie Talkie. Donald Hings was the first to create the portable radio signaling system-"
"That is enough Data, thank you." I declared, raising my hand to hush him. I returned my attention to Wesley.
"Was it something I have said?" Data asked Riker, twisting his head to look curiously at the Commander.
"No Data." Riker chuckled.
"My question is Wesley, is why did you create this...this thing? We already have multiple devices that do the same thing." I asked, staring at Wesley. He glanced at the floor, then returned eye contact,
"I don't know Sir. It's just that feeling that I get when I create something. It's an overwhelming joy that I get. I feel like I can do anything!"
I raised an eyebrow.
"I'm sorry Sir. I see your point." Wesley sighed. "I will get to my studies Commander." Nodding at us, he entered the Turbolift as we stepped into Ten Forward.
"Mr. Crusher?" I paused and turned around to face him before the doors closed. Riker and Data followed suit. "I AM impressed that you did create that all by yourself. You may keep it, only if it doesn't interfere with your studies." I approved, diverting eye contact. I could feel Riker smirk behind me.
"Th-thank you, Sir!" He grinned, addressing me firmly. I nodded.
"Now back to your studies," I mumbled, walking into Ten Forward. As soon as she saw us, Guinan smiled and walked over to us. "Guinan, the new members. Where are they?" I asked as she nodded at us.
"Over at that table Sir." She replied, pointing to a table in the corner. I nodded and lead the way.
"Thank you, Guinan."
We approached the table, and all but one of them stood up.
"Captain." One of them addressed, and, as if the one who didn't stand up realized we were here, shot up, her back turned towards us. I furrowed my brows, glancing at Riker and Data. Riker shrugged and crept around to face her. Stifling a laugh, Riker picked up a napkin.
"Here you go. You might want to clean that off..." He muttered, glancing at me before he handed her the napkin.
I stared at the chocolate ice cream on the table, realizing the situation. Riker handed her the napkin and she violently rubbed her face.
"Is it better?!" She hissed, keeping her voice low. Resting his chin on his fist, he shook his head and dipped a new napkin into a cup of water.
Rolling my eyes, I shook my head and glancing at Data. He looked down at me through the corner of his eye, a slight smirk apparent.
After her face became clean of the chocolate ice cream, she stood straight as a board and faced me as Riker returned to my side.
I knew this Doctor was too good to be true. I thought.
"I am Dr. Presley, age 21, graduated top of my class. I do hope to serve the ship Enterprise well. I realize how this must look but believe me, I do know what I am doing. I got carried away eating my ice cream. Please forgive me for that." She requested and I nodded my head. "Thank you." She whispered, relaxing her stance but keeping it firm.
"Now that everyone is here-"
"Captain, there is something you might want to see on the Bridge. Come quickly." Geordi requested.
I glanced at Riker.
"He wouldn't call you if it wasn't important Sir," Riker suggested, tilting his head.
Sighing, I nodded and pursed my lips. "All right, all right. Let's go. I'll be back...and doctor?" He head whipped to meet my eyes. Please..." I stared at her. "no more ice cream." I instructed, raising a brow. With a slight smirk on her face, she nodded.
"Aye, Sir."
"Come, Riker, let's go see what Geordi found. Data you stay here."