Chapter 1

Clean slate, new beginning, fresh start, give it all the synonyms you want, it’s still a change; a change from my life that I had deemed perfect. I didn’t want to move, let alone to a boarding school, in bloody Johnston. Where is that? I didn’t know either. Apparently it’s near Pennsylvania... Or was it Massachusetts? I didn’t know, and honestly, I didn’t really care.

            I let out a dreadful sigh as I reached Johnston Boarding Academy. I lugged my stuff into the front office. A petite lady sat behind the counter.

            I approached her and said, “Hi, my name’s Savannah Greene. I’m a new student.”

            She smiled, “Let me just get your folder and call your roommate.”

            I nodded with the most saccharine sweet smile plastered on my face.

            “Alright, Savannah this is Rayna, your new roommate.”

            I stared at the short and slim girl. She looked like a model straight out from New York or something, except she was short. She wore a casual colour blocking dress and nude heels. She looked pleasant, not the bitch I was expecting, thank goodness.

            “Thanks Mrs Gibson, I’ve got it from here,” Rayna winked.

            We both exchanged friendly small talk as she helped me with my stuff to my dorm. Oh, I guess it’s our dorm now.

            “So, where’d you transfer from?” she asked.

            “Actually, I’m new at this.”

            “What? Boarding school? It’s like normal school but just you stay with me,” she shrugged.

            “No, school period,” I said with a dead-serious tone.

            “You’ve never been to school?” She asked puzzled.

            I shook my head, “It’s a long story.”

            “I hope you’re up for an introduction dinner tonight with my friends. You can tell us then,” she smiled.

            “Uh, it’s okay. I think I’ll just stick to myself and not get in your way,” I grumbled.

            “No way, come on! I’ve been roommate-less for so long,” she whined.

            I rolled my eyes but I was smiling inside. She just had that... personality that I knew I could be friends with. She reminded me of...

            “So you’re coming tonight. I know you’re going to love my friends!” She cut off my train of thought.

            I sighed and smiled wearily. I was so tired, but I guess socializing would help. Rayna flitted through the campus as if it were her own fairyland. She’s been without a roommate for so long, I’m sure she’s excited. I just don’t think I can be the roommate she wants or needs.

            She dragged me through the crowd, occasionally stopping and introducing me to people I’ve already forgotten their face and names. Finally, we reached the dorms.

            She opened the door and revealed a quaint room. The entire room had a very calming theme to it; walls painted lilac and mint green. The room was mirrored to be exactly the same with furniture, except for the fact one side was cluttered and the other was empty.