Chapter 3

Rayna caught up with me during our lunch time. She pulled me to the table with her gang. I smiled at them politely and answered their questions obediently.

            “How was your first day?” asked Mia.

            “Fine.”

            “Did you meet any new friends?” Jeremy asked.

            “Yup, some of the kids here are really friendly.”

            Rayna interrupted and asked, “Alexa, there’s cheerleading tryouts today, right?”

            Alexa’s face lit up as if she had forgotten, “Yes! Oh my god, Rayna you have to try out!”

            Rayna grinned and said, “No worries! I will!”

            “Hey, Savannah should try out,” Jeremy interrupted.

            My eyes widened, “Guys, I told you I suck!”

            “You never fully know unless you try!” Rayna encouraged me.

            Alexa’s face had agenda written all over it. She slurred, “Yeah, Savannah, you should totally try out.” She wanted me to fail. Her face had motive written all over it.

            Desperately, I whispered to Rayna, “I’m having my period.”

            Rayna looked like she got caught off guard, “Don’t worry, I’ve got some tampons.”

            Alexa stood up as she finished with her lunch, “Tryouts are at 5. Don’t be late!”

            I stared at my food, suddenly losing my appetite.

            Rayna dragged me to the gym. I tried to make it as obvious as possible that I just didn’t want to try out, but either Rayna was too blur to notice or she just wanted me to accompany her in tryouts.

Rayna dragged me into the gym. There was a clear apartheid in the gym; one side filled with guys, the other with girls. The guys were having basketball training. Max and Jeremy gave Rayna and me a wave. Rayna dragged me to the girls’ side and the combined smiles gave me a slight headache.

Alexa stood on a chair with Mia by her side. Her hair was pulled into a high ponytail and finished with a huge bow. Her uniformed revealed a flat tummy and muscular but petite long legs.

            “Start stretching guys! Mia and I will be leading you through!” Alexa yelled. Everyone started swinging their arms, doing lunges and cracking their necks. As the warm up progressed, we finally moved to the flexibility section of stretching.

            “Right front splits first. Go as low as you possibly can,” Mia said plopping into a perfect split. I tried to stay around the same height as Rayna. Rayna grunted and was struggling. I tried to imitate her best I could.

            Alexa was walking around, evaluating everyone. I wasn’t here to make the team anyways. As Alexa walked towards Rayna and I, she said encouragingly, “Ray, come on! Just push a little!”

            Rayna’s face turned reddish, “Ah my legs!”

            Alexa turned to me and snarled, “Is that really the best you can do?”