Chapter 6

“And what are you doing out of bed?” A matron caught me as I was sneaking back to my dorm.

            “Is there a rule against being out of bed?” I asked.

            She raised an eyebrow, “Curfew is at 11. It is 11.30, my dear. And I might add, a girl dressed in all black, with muddy shoes, is incredibly suspicious.”

             “I promise I’m not in some gang. I wasn’t up to any trouble I-I was on a date,” I lied.

            She shrugged, “You’re a new student, I presume. Last warning, but I guess it is better finding you here than in the boys’ dorm.”

            I excused myself, “Thank you. So glad you understand.”

            Close call, I’d need a better excuse next time. Or I could just expand the tunnel so it’d lead to my dorm room. I’ll just have to double my efforts at training and cut short the time so I’d make curfew in the nick of time. I’d thought being out of bed past curfew was the biggest rule you could break at a boarding school. I giggled at the thought of Filch would yell, “Students out of bed!” in Harry Potter books.

            I snuck back into my dorm and found Rayna still awake and on Skype with Mia and Alexa down the hall.

            “How was it?” Rayna chirped.

            I grinned, “I’m on probation for two months, but now I get to train!”

            “I still can’t believe you’re an elite gymnast. You seem so... normal!” Mia said.

            I laughed, “We are normal!”

            Alexa rolled her eyes, “Yeah, it’s totally normal to be as flexible as you are.”

            “Hey, you’re a cheerleader! You’re flexible too!” I fought back.

            “Not to the extent I can do a front split leap! We do toe touches, but that’s basically it!”

            I shrugged, “We start from young, so it isn’t that impressive, really.”

             “Guys, it’s getting late. Long day tomorrow, for us all,” Rayna cut in. As soon as the Skype call ended, Rayna started interrogating me, as per usual.

            “How was it?”

            I shrugged, “It’s been awhile. I’m beat!”

            “Did you get caught by the matron?”

            “Yes, oh my goodness I had to say I was on a... date!” I blushed.

            She started laughing, “I bet Jeremy wouldn’t mind being your alibi if he could score a date with you.”

            I rolled my eyes, “Oh come on. You know he and Alexa are having a thing!”

            “They had a thing! It was flirty but nothing came out of it! He obviously moved on! He’s flirting with you like crazy! Why did you think Alexa was such a bitch to you at first?”

            I shrugged, “Even if he did like me, I have a boyfriend.”

            “I don’t mean to burst your bubble, Savannah, but long distance relationships hardly work; especially when one of them is attracted to the hottest guy on campus.”