2

Cairo's POV

"Baby they're ready for you." Lindsey says.

Lindsey then grabs my hand and we walk into the conference room at the LA Lightning FC stadium.

When I walk in I notice the teams I played for have put my trophies next to the podium.

On one side is the NWSL trophies and awards. On the other side is the trophies from the USWNT which include two World Cup trophies, the two olympic medals, my golden boots from the 2019 and 2023 World Cups, and my golden ball from the 2019 and 2023 World Cups.

I also notice everyone I played with in the NWSL or from the National team is sitting in the audience which is nice.

"Thank you all for coming today." Jill says then looks at me and I nod at her. "Cairo Horan has an announcement to make...Cairo." Jill says then sits on the USWNT side of the podium as I stand at the podium.

"I am here today to announce my immediate retirement from LA Lightning FC and from the United States Women's National team." I say and I hear some gasps and a lot of people mumble.

"May I ask why you are retiring?"

"I have a heart condition that is forcing me to retire."

"Is that what caused you to faint on the field?"

"Yes."

"Mama." Isabella says and makes grabby hands so I pick her up.

"Hey Bella Boo." I say.

"You still hurt?"

"Yes baby. Mama's still hurt."

Isabella kisses my heart again and it takes everything in me not to cry.

"All better Mama"

"Thank you baby." I say then kiss her face a couple times making her giggle. "I need you to go back to Mommy okay? After this Mommy and I will take you out for pizza."

"Otay." Isabella says then I set her down and she runs to Lindsey. I then look back at the press corp.

"What condition do you have?"

"Long QT Syndrome."

"How long have you known.

"Since I was fifteen, but everyone else found out after I collapsed."

"Why?"

"Next question."

"How are you feeling right now?"

"Right now I'm pretty shitty, excuse my language. But I have a loving wife who is my rock right now, I have a daughter who is very loving and is brightening my mood everyday, and I have an amazing support system."

"Is Lindsey going to keep playing?"

"To my knowledge she is. She isn't the one with the heart condition."

"What are you going to do now that you are retired?"

"Well I have a business I will run. I could go teach at a university, I also have my coaching badges so I can do any of those three, but most importantly I will be a Mom and a Wife."

"Do you wish you would have told somebody about your condition?"

I try to answer, but nothing comes out. I look over at Lindsey, who has Isabella sitting on her lap, then I look back at the person who asked me the question and sadly nod my head.

There's a moment of silence where everyone just stares at me. I look over at Lindsey and she her keeping Isabella entertained for the moment.

I fucked up so bad.