Forty Nine ~ Quinn

I watch as Rya screws up her face as she takes a gulp of champagne. She doesnt think anyone is watching as she licks her lips and stares at the glass in disgust.

I drink my own champagne and laugh as she tips her glass into a nearby plant pot.

Everyone else in the room looks to be enjoying themselves but everyone is feeling the strain. Today was a long day and people are struggling to unwind.

Even with Sean in the basement, Bella looks unsure as she sips her champagne and Viktor is watching her worriedly. Switch has barely taken his eyes off of Rya, tentatively watching over her to make sure she's okay. Freddie looks a little bit sick and I cant imagine that he's too happy that his captor is still alive.

Artie has done all he can for Rya's injuries in such a short space of time and has put her wrist in a sort of splint. Her fingers are bruising again and I can tell that her ribs are hurting her.

Someone knocks a spoon off of a glass and I turn to see Switch standing on a chair above everyone. "Today marked an event that will be talked about for years to come," he starts. "A day where a corrupt policeman, an ex mob boss, a serial killer, a hitman, a hot ginger mafia man, koroleva, a drug dealer-"

He is cut off by Matthew raising his hand, "Actually, I've started to expand my business a little."

Switch laughs, "Ok, a dealer of illegal goods and a florist-"

He's cut off again but this time by me, "I'm only an apprentice at the moment."

Switch frowns at us, "How the fuck did we all survive today?"

Everyone starts to laugh and I feel a tug on my sleeve. I turn and see Rya standing by my side. "Come on." She urges and then walks out of the room. I follow close behind her and watch as she goes down into the gym basement.

I sigh as we walk in and she takes off her jacket. "Really? You're training tonight? Your wrist is broken and you're going to end up breaking your ribs again."

She laughs and shakes her head at me. "I'm not going to be training. You are." I gulp as I remember her intense workouts. "If you're going to be staying here, then you'll need to learn how to fight. I'm not having you get hurt."

She wants me around now? Yesterday she was booking me flights out of the country and now shes helping me to fit in? Has this got anything to do with what she told me this morning?

She gestures me towards her and I step forward dutifully. "You want to always protect your head," she tells me, "because if they hit you hard enough in the head, that could be death or if could knock you out. Either way, it's not pretty."

She then kicks my feet out until they're shoulder width apart. "Try to always keep one foot on the floor. If your opponent gets you on the ground it makes it a hell of a lot harder to win."

She frowns at me and then scratches her head. Clearly she doesnt really know where she's going with this.

She sighs and looks me over. "But, if you do end up on the floor, try and take your opponent with you. Then you share the disadvantage."

She continues this for about an hour, saying random little things and teaching me snippets of the lessons she's been taught since she was a child. Shes not a great teacher but I have picked up a few things.

Like this.

As she goes to pass me, I hook my leg behind her knee and kick back. Her knee gives and she falls to the ground but not before grabbing my shoulders and yanking me down behind her.

She ends up hitting the ground on her back with my body caging her in. I look down at her and quickly check that I havent hurt her. She sighs and then punches my chest lightly. "Do you really want to do this? Because I could kick your ass even in this state."

I laugh, "I dont doubt it."

Neither of us move and I watch her throat move as she gulps. "Quinn.." she says softly. She bites down on her bottom lip and her eyes stare directly into mine.

In a flash, she flips us so that she's sitting on my ribs. An image appears in my brain of Ellie and Rya in this position earlier but I'm hoping that this is going to end up going in a different direction.

She told me she loved me. She thought she was about to die and she told me she loved me. How the hell am I supposed to take that?

A slow smile grows on her face and then her fingers dart out and dig into my ribs. I gasp as she starts to tickle me. This is not what I expected. I dont have a clue what I did expect but it wasnt this.

I start to laugh and then she jumps to her feet and runs away. I scramble up and chase after her, darting around treadmills and benches before finally grabbing her shoulders and tickling her back. I an careful though to avoid the broken ribs.

She let's out an excited scream and starts to thrash in my grip, making me unsteady and I crash into a stack of weights, both of us falling with the equipment.

Shes still laughing as we land and again, I'm practically pinning her to the floor.

"This is twice now we've been in this position," I laugh.

She grins and bites her lip again, "Maybe you should do something about it then, Prescott."

I lean down and when I can feel her breath on my face I whisper, "Can I kiss you?"

She nods and raises her head to meet me in the middle. Her lips barely graze mine before theres the slam of a door. "What happened?" I hear Switch yell and I yank back. The two of us glare at him and he starts to laugh. "Oh. I'm so sorry, I'll be going now."

He leaves the room and Rya wriggles underneath me. I move away and she gets to her feet to dust herself off. "Well that ruined the moment didn't it?" She laughs.

Fuck you Switch.