fighter

She sat by him for the past month, his cold hands in her warm ones. His eyes been closed for the entire month after the accident that put him in a coma. Their daughter would come before and after school, she couldn't miss any school even if she wanted to.

Their friends would try to feed Kaycee and get her away from Sean, but she would not move unless she needed to use the bathroom or pick her daughter up from school. She wouldn't go to work because she thought that if she left that it would be the last time she would see her husband breathing.

She didn't want to risk it.

They have been there for each other since they were just kids in elementary school. They have known each other for over two decades and an accident won't separate them from each other. She knew that he is fighting for his life, everyday he was because he is a fighter.

He is a fighter, she thought to himself as she squeezed his hands.

His heartbeat was steady surprisingly. He is a miracle to doctors. They all thought that Sean would die at the hospital when he was brought in. Kaycee and Emery knew better, faith told them better than what the doctors told them.

"Daddy," Emery mumbled before climbing into his hospital bed. "I wanted to wish you a happy birthday. I brought you a cupcake, your favorite flavor chocolate. It is also Mommy's favorite flavor even though she prefers red velvet."

She sobbed into her father's chest before pleading with him, "Wake up. Just wake up, Daddy."

"Emery-"

"He has to wake up, Mommy." And by some miracle, he heard her like he was awake then heard the sobs of his two favorite girls. "He is a fighter, Mom. That is what you told me."

"Yes, he is, Princess."

"I love you, Daddy." Emery says before wiping her tears with her fists.

"I love you too, baby."