o1: Trivandrum Mail by tulikarma

Title: Trivandrum Mail 

Author: tulikarma

Description: They met on the Trivandrum Mail. They rediscovered love on the Trivandrum Mail. Fourteen years have passed - they have changed. But the Trivandrum Mail hasn't.

Genres: short story; romance 

Tags: india; journey; kerala; love; train; weneeddiversebooks 

Status: complete

‣ ‣ ‣

The Trivandrum Mail is a train in India that runs between Thiruvananthapuram and Chennai, and the setting for this short love story. The chapters alternate between 1999 and 2013, two chapters in the lives of Shreyas and Nadira, telling the tale of two different journeys they make on the Trivandrum Mail. As the description suggests, Shreyas' and Nadira's budding romance during their first meeting in 1999 and, fourteen years later, the strain of married life and the rediscovery of love.

Tulika has an incredible knack for writing the most beautiful description, and the simplicity of her prose is mindblowing. This story really is something special, and it is so refreshing to read a book set somewhere other than America, and for it to be so precisely detailed with the innate knowledge of someone who knows what she's talking about. 

With 14 parts and 16 pages, the story is easily digestable and leaves a lasting impression - it has been more than a year since I read it but I can still recall the way it made me feel: there is something so beautiful in its simplicity: whether it is the description, the narration, the characters or the fact that even though it is a destination far from my reach, Tulika brings it home for anyone who reads this story. You don't need to know a thing about India in order to immerse yourself in this story, which I highly suggest you do.