o7: Freida by tulikarma

Title: Freida

Author: tulikarma

Description: Oh I know I love you/ so please / throw down your hair

Genres: short story

Tags: freida, grades, india, indian, love, neil, painting, school, skype, student, tagsarestupid, tea, teacher, test, unfaithful, weneeddiversebooks

Status: complete

‣ ‣ ‣

I don't possess the words to accurately describe just how phenomenal a writer Tulika is. 'Freida' is the third of her works that I've read, and the third that has completely blown me away in a way that no other writing has. She exceeds all expectations of a Wattpad writer, penning the kinds of stories you expect to find nestled away in an independent bookstore that hand-picks every tome it sells.

Freida is written in the most perfect male point of view I've ever read, and is one of few works to capture a first person narrative so intricately. Neil is an art teacher in Chennai City, India, living with his American girlfriend, Elizabeth. Their relationship is clearly under many different strains, whether that's cultural or distance or just different aspirations: Elizabeth wants to be a published author.

There is something so addictive about Tulika's style. She manages to create such an amazing tale out of Neil's narrative, even if we may not agree with his actions or intentions - he falls for a student of his, seventeen-year-old Freida. The story will drag you in and take your heart hostage until you reach the last page. No matter how you feel about Neil, you will be blinking back tears by the time you reach the final page.