o3: Stories We Tell by ktwriter_

Title: Stories We Tell

Author: ktwriter_

Description: Two College students come to learn that it's the stories we tell that intertwine us most when a freak snowstorm halts their cordial road trip and forces them to spend a weekend stuck in a motel together.

Genres: short story; general fiction

Tags: n/a

Status: complete

‣ ‣ ‣

I have never not been completely overwhelmed by Katie's talent: she has a knack for creating settings within her stories with an expert flick of the wrist, and that of Stories We Tell is no different. Reading the first chapter, I can feel the swirling snow and the bitter cold that she describes. There is something so cosy and comforting about the way Katie writes, from the heaterless car to the cramped motel room.

The story is concise, with 18 pages made up of a prologue and four parts spread from Friday to Sunday. It is soft and touching, maintaining a sense of reality. The characters have histories and futures and their lives feel as though they exist off the page: the story is a mere snapshot of their lives, rather than all there is to them. Katie shares their experience with us, and it is such a wonderful one, with its own elations and tragedies expertly woven into the narration.