Kayak Wishes

Candle light. A warm yellow glow near my face. It was nothing other than my birthday cake. I had family and friends around me sing my happy birthday song. I was officially 12 years old today.

     The song was done and that meant it was time to make a wish, and blow out my candles. I closed my eyes, I thought really hard for a moment and then exhaled. I looked up. I wish I didn't. My father was there. Beer in hand. As usual. I didn't want him here. After all he just packed up all his things and left, without a care in the world. He never loved me, or my mother. He was selfish. A selfish old drunk didn't deserve to be at my birthday party to have any of my cake.

He started to get red faced and began to become hostile. My mother immediately pushed him out of the house. Thank god. I didn't want any of my friends to know how my father is. The night then continued as normal. Everyone left, and I got showered and ready for bed. I lay down and scrolled through social media on my phone.

     My mom walked in my room with a big smile on her face. "I have a surprise for you." She said. I stood up on my feet and followed her into the basement. " I hope you like it." I turned the corner and my eyes became bigger than the Sun. A kayak. A small blue kayak was sitting in the basement. I squealed with excitement. I grabbed my mother and began to jump up and down. I was so happy. My wish came true.

     "Now are you going to go out on the pond with Emma?" Mother asked.