Mother Stone

I knocked on my door. I saw my mother's face as she opened it. She looked confused, and that she had aged. She started to shake and was barley able to stutter the question, "Who are you?"

     "Mom, it's me," I replied. Her face went pale. "What's wrong? You don't look so well, maybe you should sit down." I pushed my way inside and sat my mother down on the couch. She began to sob.

     "Ethan, is it really you?" She cried. "Yes Mom, I'm really Ethan. Why would you ask such a silly question?" "This can't be real, you're dead! Are you a spirit that's come to haunt me? What are you doing here?" Her body began to tense up, like she was about to hit me or something.

    "Woah Mom calm down! It's really me! Touch me, I'm not a ghost see!" She began to calm down a little. "How can this be? We all thought you died 4 years ago!" I let out a huge gasp. "IT'S BEEN 4 YEARS?!!" I screamed. "Is that why I seem different? Holy cow I can't believe it. Wait you thought I was dead?!"

She put her hand on my shoulder. "When you finally took your kayak out on the pond with Emma, next thing I knew she ran into the house crying and screaming." Oh man poor Emma, I had completely forgotten about her. "Then what happened?!" "She took me down to the pond, I called the police and nobody could find your body. So, in your honor we decorated a stone."

     The stone. That explains it. Her story was harder to digest than a lactose intolerant person eating a large bowl of ice cream. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Was all of this still a dream? "SLAP ME!" I exclaimed. So, she took a swing at me and oh boy was all of this real after all.

     "Is my room still here?" I asked. "We never touched it." She replied.