The Pond

It was finally Saturday. The big day was here. Today was the day I got to finally use my kayak. It was to be one of the best days of my life... or so I thought.

     Emma knocked on my door with a smile. "Today's the day!" She said in a cheerful tone. "Are you ready?" "As ready as I'll ever be!" I took my blue kayak out of the shed and followed Emma to the pond.

    The shed. The one that my father and I built. I was about 6 years old. I was in charge of the tool box. When my dad would ask for a wrench or a screwdriver, I would just keep giving him everyone I could find until it was the right one. He would laugh, and he was patient with me. Now whenever I would visit him, he'd snap at me in a second. Such a shame how much a person can change.

     Emma's kayak was already laying on the edge of the pond. She picked her life vest and began to play with the straps and buckles until it felt snug. She always proceeded activities with caution. I didn't. I mean how deep could that pond really be if I fell? I could swim. I loved to swim. But I was only 12 so I didn't know better...

We hopped in our kayaks and used our paddles to push ourselves from the shore. We pushed ourselves until we were finally out of the shallow muck. I felt so happy I began to paddle very fast to take a look at how beautiful this pond was. All my dreams had come true. I felt free. But that is when my dream became a nightmare...

I was about 20 feet ahead of Emma. I wish I hadn't been. My kayak start to sink. I felt panic starting to kick in. It started to wobble and shake. "Help me help me!" I screamed. Emma lifted her head up. "What's the matter Ethan?" "My kayak is sinking! I'm going to fall in!!!" I started to go into extreme panic mode. I was completely shutting down. "Ethan stay calm I'm coming!" She paddled faster. The shaking became more violent and I completely lost my balance.  "Help!" I screamed. Emma tried to grab a hold of me, but then it all went black. It was cold. Freezing. All I could hear was water filling my ears. I was numb. Inside and out.