GranGran

Thundering hooves deafened any hope of hearing the nearby nature. As you neared the gates, you focused your eyes on the red-flaming hair leading the charge.

Into the Kou Palace.

The gates creaked open as you all thundered in, all stopping in their tracks. Kouen called you forwards, and you led Tornado to him. "Yes, My Lord?" You asked, looking up at the tall male. I hate this... Can't I just start healing? I don't want to be anywhere near this creep. You weren't talking about the prince, but instead, a soldier who was drooling at your appearance.

You wanted to punch the brat but continued to look at Kouen. He looked at the soldier who was drooling at you. "Go clean the stables." The male ordered the soldier, who looked a bit shocked at the sudden attention. The soldier nodded, leaving.

Feeling a little more comfortable, you sighed and Tornado nuzzled you softly. He gave a little knicker. You chuckled, brushing his snout with your hand. Kouen cleared his throat, bring your attention back to him.

"Oh. Sorry." He sighed.

"I'm going to lead you to our healer, who is a very... eccentric woman. Give her the utmost respect, understood?" Kouen ordered. You nodded. "Good," He motioned to follow him. "She likes everyone to call her Grangran, so you best do as she asks. If you don't... she'll give you some nasty bruises." The prince advised.

"Yikes," You commented. "Sounds harsh."

"She is." Kouen knocked on a door.

"Come in, come in." A voice responded. The door pulled open. "What do you want now?! Can't you see I'm busy?!"

"I'm bringing you a student."

"I don't take newbies. Besides, you don't need a healer, unlike your brothers and step-sister. You have Phenex." Responded the woman. She was a short woman holding a long walking stick. Her gray hair was tied up in a smooth bun, covered with a piece of fabric held in place by a rope. She wore a simple black dress with a corset held in place by a blue sash.

The woman was healing, a soldier on her table. He eyed you, wondering who you were. You didn't pay him much attention and instead looked around the room. Neat shelves were everywhere, woven baskets filled to the brim on them.

"Is this shrevia? It's really good for broken bones, I believe. But my mentor said it only grows in cold climates. Perhaps you tried to grow it yourself? Its leaves seem a bit duller than in the books..." You asked.

"You seem to know a bit. You had a previous mentor?" Asked the other woman. You nodded. She looked at Kouen, who was about to leave. "GET BACK HERE, YOU TROUBLEMAKER!" She hissed, grabbing his torso with her hooked walking stick. After pulling him into the room, she started to slap him with her stick. "You should've mentioned that she had a mentor! You little idiot!" The woman scolded.

"Grangran, you need to stop! I'm the first prince, dammit!" He exclaimed in response. "And I want a healer because I can't always be healing people in battle! That leaves me open to attacks!" The elder stopped smacking him.

"You're using that idiot head for once! Good for you!" She exclaimed. "Alright, I'll see what this lady's got." The female continued as you started examining the soldier's wounds. They felt like burning coals, and the slashes were covered in soot. You took a deep breath.

"Did you get cut by a fire, perchance?" You asked. He nodded.

"Burning wood, anyway." The soldier responded.

"I see. Lavender and St. Johns-wort would be best, I think. And perhaps a drip of honey and some goldenseal to stop an infection from setting in?" You suggested. The elder nodded.

"Well, at least she's got some sense. Alright, prepare the poultice, then." The female responded. "You seem to have picked up a good one- far better than that Kouha's!"
"Please, Grangran, call us Lord." Begged Kouen. "How long should it take to teach her magic?" He asked.

"She knows magic spells?" You heard Grangran ask while you picked up the herbs needed. Pain flashed through your body once more, and so you took another calming breath, pushing your focus towards the poultice. Dripping a dash of honey into the mixture, you added a little dash of Veserith into the mixture to give the soldier a dash of energy.

"Grangran?" You asked, interrupting her screaming contest with Kouen. "I finished the poultice as you told me to." The woman looked at it and nodded in approval.

"Very good. Please, go place the poultice in his wounds. And wash your hands!" She reminded. You nodded, dipping your hands in the stream that somehow ran through the room. After rubbing them, they glowed a bit and turned clean. How odd... This place is weird. You thought, shaking yourself. "YEAH, YEAH. GET OUT!! OUT, OUT, OUT!!" Grangran yelled, shoving Kouen out of the room.

"Grangran, please, treat him with more respect." Begged the soldier.

"I'm his healer. I was there when he was born, and why I oughta...." The elder muttered. You chuckled, placing a bit of the balm onto a flat wooden rib and fitting it into the cuts. The soldier hissed in pain, and you flinched. But you took another deep breath.

"I know it hurts, but it's part of the healing process. You'll need to be careful- don't take any risks. I mean that- stay off duty for at least a week. Come see us tomorrow, and I'll redress your wounds. We need to make sure this doesn't become infected or it's going take a lot longer to heal. Understand?" You told the soldier.

"The apprentice is correct. It will be a tough week, but we'll make sure you get through it in peace." Grangran informed.

"Okay. Thank you Grangran, miss." The soldier responded. He got off the table, leaving with a little less than a whimper. You smiled, watching him leave.

"You did well. Do you know everything, and are just here to learn magic?" asked the elder as she wiped down the table of blood. You shook your head.

"I'm also here to learn more about higher level herbs. There are some that only my mentor used. Such as regroot."

"Regroot is a deadly herb in the wrong hands, for sure. It is used only in the direst of circumstances. I have a good idea of where you are in your training, I believe. How long have you been apprenticed as a healer?"

"My whole life. My mentor, Gray, took me in when I was a babe. He says he found me in the back of a destroyed wagon, and he's been my father figure ever since, you see."

"... Well, he did an excellent job of teaching you. Come, let's get started." The woman responded. You nodded, following her to another room.