First of Many

Tornado nickered. He nuzzled his muzzle into your armpit as if telling you he didn't want to be here. You stroked his thick mane, murmuring softly. Above the safety of the tents, even here, far from the war zone, you could hear the screams and war cries. They were vicious.

Frowning, you watched the soldiers that paced back and forth, ensuring your safety. They just observed. Shivering, you turned back to the white horse trying to gain your attention. He nudged you affectionately.

"Shh, it's okay. You and I are safe." You eased him a little. "I need to start preparing for war wounds, Tornado. You're so good to me, coming with me all the way to the Kou capital and back." You told him, praising the horse's name. He neighed softly. "I'm going to come back after the wounds are treated." You eased.

You looked over at the direction of the battlefield. Surely the fighting shouldn't have gone on this long, right? Cannons fired, the twang of bowstrings echoing across the canyon walls. You bit your lip. There would be people hurt, and you could feel it from here. Even though it was quite a ways away.

Calming yourself, you went into your tent. Cots were placed in the room, ready to be occupied by wounded soldiers. You took another deep breath. Your use would turn sour if you couldn't heal these soldiers.

Taking out your herbs and bandages, you placed them on each table, readying the bundles. There were sure to be many wounded, and this way, you could heal them easier.

"Healer! Healer!" Cried out a soldier. You gasped, rushing out of the tent. "Healer, you are needed to treat wounds on the front lines!"

"O-okay." You stammered, looking at his wounds. So you were right. It turned out to be a gruesome battle after all. "You! Come with me!" You snapped to a man with white hair and green eyes. Grabbing a satchel of bandages, you gave it to the soldier. "Bring those with us. I need an assistant to staunch any bleeding while I focus on more wounded," You explained as he brought out his own horse. You grabbed a couple more satchels, mounting Tornado. "He-yah!"

"Healer, why did you ask me, of all the soldiers at camp, to come?" The white-haired man asked as you two raced forward.

"I just picked one of you." You responded. Making it to the back of the front lines, many soldiers, all of which bore wounds, looked forward in awe. You followed their gazes. "What the-!" A magic circle was in the sky, aimed at the enemy's forces. You watched as white fire was expelled from the circle, slamming itself down in the form of a white snake-like creature. The other people were snuffed out in an instant.

You turned away from the white flames, instead, you listened to the slice of steel as the remaining soldiers of the enemy attempted to avenge their comrades. Ignoring the noise, you taught the white-haired man to wrap the bandages correctly. You could only stop the bleeding until you got back to the temporary camp.

"You... followed my orders. Good... Job." Kouen praised. You looked over at the Prince, noticing that the Rukh was sluggish around him. A sharp pain crisscrossed your body.

"Can the soldiers get back to camp?" You asked him, wrapping his arm with bandages. The arm was half-scabbed over. Evidently, he had attempted to use Phenex.

"We'll have to," Kouen answered grimly. "I can move on my own," He went on, calling forth his horse. You bit your lip, following the wounded soldiers. What an interesting man. He recognizes himself as part of the soldiers. You smiled. He may be a prince, but the First Imperial Prince was a good one. That was for sure.

When you reached the camp, you became busier than ever. Rushing around the tents, you cleaned and bandaged wounds properly. One or two of the warriors of Kou had received broken bones. You couldn't remember. You were too busy to care, anyway.

Kouen was obviously wounded, but he insisted on being treated last. You complied only because it looked as though he had used, somehow, too much magoi, and not because of his wounds. But now that everyone was treated and on the healing path, you could treat him.

"Prince Kouen?" You asked outside his tent door. "I'm here to treat you," You explained.

"Come in, then," Kouen responded. You went into the tent, finding the prince sitting on his cot, looking tired.

"Take your shirt off, please," you ordered, looking at the slash mark across his chest. How could something so awful happen to such a great man? He took off part of the robes, allowing the cloth to slump off of his body and hang at his sides, waiting to return to his body.

You flushed, looking at the man's toned body. Slashes zigzagged his arms, but the blood and dirt did not hide the man's well-toned arms. The man smirked.

"I suggest you stop staring,"

"I-I wasn't staring, dumbo! I was deciding what you would need to feel better!" You told him, slamming your foot down on the ground as a deeper blush painted across your face. The man chuckled. "Honestly, you're wounded and practically out of magoi and yet you still continue to tease me!" You tsked, walking over to him. You started to slip herbs onto his skin, making sure to be careful.

"You're just so easy to tease, Y/n," Kouen responded. "It's so cute." He went on.
"Who're you and what have you done with Prince Kouen?!" You asked, jumping backward. The red-haired man laughed, a truly heavenly sound. You tsked. "Compliment me again and I'll punch you in the face!"

"What's wrong with complimenting you?" The man asked, tipping his head. He had a soft smirk across his face.

"You-You're teasing me again!" You accused. "Ugh! Forget it! Enjoy a painful night!" You exclaimed, starting to leave the tent.

"...Y/n," Kouen called back. You turned around, looking at the man. "I will be better. I swear it," Kouen promised. You sighed, going back over to him. You began to wrap his chest, silence following your actions. When you were done, you paused at the tent's entrance.

"Why do you enjoy this? Why do you let your soldiers get hurt? You get hurt?" You questioned. He looked away, sighing. "Well? Tell me, Prince Kouen! I am your subordinate, yes, but I am your healer, and these are the people I have to heal. I have a right to know why I do what I do!" You exclaimed.

"...You will soon find out. When you are trusted." Kouen told you. You huffed, turning. "I promise that you will soon know when you are ready, Y/n. But for now, the reason you do this is merely for your village." He promised as you left the tent.

You puffed, leaning against one of the few trees in the campsite. Your whole body ached. Not only from the scrabbling of fixing everyone up but also from feeling everyone's pain. It was like a dark cloud, keeping you encased in a cage, one of which you couldn't escape.

You looked around, making sure you were alone. Turns out you were. With a sigh, you started weeping silent tears. This was so hard, and this was only your first battle of many.

A/n: Hello! Sorry for the slow update ^^ I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Let me know if there is anything I can do to increase my writing abilities. I really love writing these, and I hope you enjoy reading them, so please continue to support me! You have no idea how much it means to me!