Chapter 9

Contrary to my expectations, he had actually not been able to concentrate, because he turned around when he noticed that someone was standing behind him. He smiled friendly at me and I relaxed a little. What bad could happen? Shawn would certainly be able to do the show.

"What is up? Are you back yet? I was expecting you later," Andrew said. "That is the point... Could you please come with me to Shawn's room," I asked him. Worried, he looked at me, but closed his book and took the lead on the way to Shawn.

Arriving at the room Andrew knocked on the door. It took a moment for Shawn to open. "Sorry, I was lying in bed," he apologized, carefully stepped aside and let Andrew and me in. Andrew's eyes fell on Shawn's knee.

He gasped for air: "Shawn! That can't be true! You have a show to deliver tonight. What are you going to do now?" "Uh, put a patch on it, hope for the best and do the show tonight," he said shrugging his shoulders. "That's great," Andrew said sarcastically and shook his head, "at least tell me how it happened."

So Shawn told him about the action he had taken to save me. When he had finished, an out-of-control Andrew hissed at me: "You already knew you weren't good at skating! You shouldn't have agreed - or at least been more careful." Tears came into my eyes. And although I didn't really want to show it, his words hit me very hard. He was right. Everything was my fault!

Shawn took me in his arms, pressed me briefly and hissed back to Andrew: "Leave her out of it! It was my idea to go skating and my action that brought us into this situation! She can't help it at all! You can't blame her for my clumsiness! And to be honest, I'm really glad that my injury this time is NOT caused by clumsiness."

Andrew stormed out of the room in rage and we heard how the door to the hotel hallway closed with a tremendous volume and a lot of momentum. "He's right Shawn. It's my fault," I still sobbed in his arms. But Shawn shook his head: "It's not. If you really want to start, you might as well blame your parents for never having taught you how to skate, even though part of your family comes from Canada."

He shook his head and laughed quietly. I nodded and he went on: "In the end it's not about blaming someone. What's important now is the show tonight."

"I'm sorry that Andrew and you fought over me," I said when Shawn released me from his embrace. "Oh, that's all right. Don't worry," Shawn beckoned, "At some point he'll understand that I'm just a big clumsy person. I just couldn't let him attack you like that, but I can understand him. The tour is really important... just not more important than you. He will understand that too. I think he's just at the end with his nerves."

Had I just just just interrogated myself or had he really said that I was more important than his world tour?

"But you should go now anyway. I have to prepare for a show and take care of my wounds properly," Shawn said after a moment of silence. "Sure you'll be fine on your own?", I asked and he laughed: "I've made it the last few years too".

I lowered my head in shame - he was right. After one last, lengthy farewell hug, Shawn said, "I still got something for you. " And handed me a backstage pass. "Just come by tonight. Then you can watch the show if you want, of course, and after that we can hang out with the rest of the crew. Just don't lose the pass." I nodded energetically and thanked. Of course I would come!

My heart was probably bursting with joy in this very second.