Chapter 1

"Now, boys, there's no need for that... I'm sure we can figure something out.." my dad trails off as a dark figure raises his arm, holding something. I can't see, since I'm hiding behind our couch.

"This is the 3rd time we've asked for you to do a simple thing. And. You. Failed." A deep voice says. My dad kneels with his hands up, begging.

Gunshots.
3 of them.

I see my dad fall down, and a dark shadow surrounds him on the carpet.

"Daddy!" I cry, crawling around the corner.

I hear footsteps on the stairs. Mom's footsteps.

"Daddy, wake up!"
"Wake up!"
"WAKE UP!"

I jerk up into a sitting position, sweating, but freezing. My little brother, Darius stands there, holding a cup in his hands. An empty cup.

"You'd better run, better run, " I threaten. His eyes are the eyes of saucers, and he turns and runs to his room, slamming the door.

Time for the first day of school.

Yay.

I get up and get a shower, watching the time. Then, I change into my outfit for the day.

Shoot. I have 10 minutes until I leave.
I rush downstairs, passing Darius on his way down. Thankfully, we still have some apples so that's my breakfast. I start eating it, packing my backpack with some granola bars.

"Time to go , gotta leave!" I yell, grabbing a chocolate chip granola bar for him to eat on the way. I pack his lunch and backpack into my car. He hops into the back, taking the granola bar from my hand and buckling in.

We drive to his school, and drop him off in his 6th grade class. No time for goodbyes, I was already late for school. Luckily, my school is 3 minutes away from his.

I pull into the parking lot, turning down my radio. Finally, I find a spot and rush into the office.

"Kayla Muerton." I say to the secretary, who hands me a pass and my schedule. I have gym first thing.

Let's see how this goes.