18

[ Mark | Donghyuck | Kun | Chenle | Jeno | Lucas | Jungwoo | Jaemin | Jisung | Renjun | Hendery | Xiao Jun | Yangyang ]

It's been three weeks since the incident happened. Although child protection services stepped in, Jeno still didn't have a permanent home. It was deemed unsafe to stay with his mom, so he spent the majority of his time at the daycare center.

After all, it's more like a home to Jeno since he has all his friends there.

"Woo woo, I got a boo boo again!" Jeno scratches his head, holding his thumb up in the air. "Could you pwease kiss it for me?"

Without hesitation, Jungwoo sports a smile and leans closer towards Jeno. Just as he was about to kiss it, he noticed an angry Jaemin blocking him. Oh, these two. They've become inseparable ever since.

"How many times do I have to tell you to not get hurt?" Jaemin frowns, unwrapping a bandaid as he wraps it around Jeno's thumb. "You have to be more careful."

Nodding his head cutely, Jeno wraps his hands around Jaemin's waist as he gives him a big hug. Of course, he can count on his best friend!

Geez, Mark pushes his face back as he witnesses Jaemin and Jeno getting all mushy. For some odd reason, he sort of wanted to try it with Donghyuck, but then he remembers that it would be better if he didn't even do a thing. "Why can't that be us?"

"Ew, you want me to put this old bandaid on you?" Donghyuck grins, revealing the century-old scab he got two weeks ago. "I saved this band-aid cause it had stars, but you can have it."

Uh? Mark doesn't know if he should be grateful that Donghyuck tried his best to act all nice or that this is just revenge for accidentally pushing him towards the ground because he was the one who gave him that arm scab. "T—thanks, I'll be sure to treasure it."

Kun slowly leaned towards the wall, crossing his arms. It seems as if everything is going well, the daycare is full of happy children, but there's still something bothering him.

Calling Jungwoo over, he glanced at the documents the children shelter where Jeno was staying. "We have bad news, someone from another country would like to adopt Jeno."

Lucas overheard as he took one glance at Jaemin's smiling face. This wasn't supposed to happen, he... "No, he's staying here."

Kun understood what Lucas meant. He knows how hard it was for Jaemin to open up and the bond between him and Jeno. It's a tough decision, he doesn't make the rules around here.

"I know, but Jeno deserves a loving mother and father." Kun sighs, patting Lucas's back as he glances at Jungwoo. "What he needs isn't us."

Jungwoo wanted to reply, but his throat was dry. He knew whatever say he had, it would be meaningless. Even Kun, who was the most authoritative figure in the daycare, couldn't do a thing.

"We have to make sure Jeno agrees." Lucas continues, pushing his hair up. "Do we tell the kids?"

The answer was simple, yes and no. The truth would honestly hurt Jaemin. There are times where a white lie is needed and those times are now.

-
A/N:
Oh no. 🤥🤥🤥
Also, I think I'm going to plan a second book for this just because we're almost nearing the end. It'll probably be centered around nomin with the other kids all grown up.