Chapter 3.

"El, open up, please." Jessica knocked on the door which was the entrance to the last bathroom stall occupied by me.

"I'm fine, Jess. Just let me be." Even though I tried to keep my voice firm and assertive, it betrayed me when there was a slight break in it. I croaked unwillingly and burst into tears again, when my mind replayed the whole scene that went down in the cafeteria a few minutes ago.

I never expected him to act so coldly and what left me shocked was when he said I had humiliated him.

I always took him to be the kind of guy who didn't seem to mind the spotlight on him, but I guess I was wrong.

Just like how I'd wrongly put up his perfect personality in front of me and worshipped him for 7 years.

"Eleanor," I heard Beth sighing on the other side of the door, "we are sorry for forcing you."

"Yes, we are sorry, El. Please forgive us." Paris' voice peeled through the door to my ears, but the sound of my heartbreaking over and over again, drowned it out.

"We'll teach him a lesson, don't worry, El." Sarah adamantly declared and I imagined all the others nodding their heads in agreement.

"Yeah, we'll tell him to apologize to you in front of the whole cafeteria, just how he insulted you." Beth supported the idea, but the last thing I wanted was to face Jason and exchange one word syllables with him.

"We are sorry, Eleanor. Forgive us." All four of them said it together, and I cupped my hands over my ears to prevent their voices from entering.

"Guys, I appreciate you apologizing after the damage is done, but if you really want me to forgive you," I said pausing to wipe my cheeks stained with tears, "Then. Leave. Me. Alone."

They seemed to finally understand the message, and just in horrible timing, the bell rang signalling the end of lunch hour.

There was a bit of shuffling outside and then silence. I sighed in relief, and unlocked my bathroom stall to step out and walked towards the sink to wash my face.

I didn't even want to look at the mirror, to let myself count all the numerous flaws present in me, that made Jason so humiliated by my act and reject me without having to think twice about it.

I took my bag, which was slumped in a corner of the sink, possibly brought by the girls who were apologizing, and walked in the opposite direction of my next class.

I had to pass through the hallways, to get to the place, where I wouldn't be questioned about my solidarity. I took a deep breath as I saw people walking up and down busily and remembering a number of faces present on the lunch tables.

I untied my brown hair and let it fall on the sides of my face as a shield to cover my reddened nose and watery eyes, a give away that I was crying.

I stepped on the hallway and immediately my ears were ricocheting with hoots and catcalls and ship names from all directions.

"-----brave girl----"

"----Elason-----"

"So stupid-----"

I tuned them out and sprinted down the hallway, towards the other side of the building, when suddenly I was jerked behind, a firm hand on my arm, and ran straight into someone by the effect.

I looked up irritatingly and stared at concerned green eyes, which were examining my face.

"Are you----"

"I'm fine Peter." I snapped, "Now, let go."

He did as he was told and I let out a breath as the period bell rang making the students swarm off to their respected classes and thankfully no one noticed when I entered the infirmary.

"Um, Mrs. Samuels?" She looked up from her computer and her blank expression was converted into worry, when she took in my flushed state from weeping a full half an hour.

It was uncomfortable to have such contrasting responses from the mother and son, but I managed to give her a weak smile and told her my problem and she nodded in understanding.

"It's alright, dear." She rounded the desk to leave the reception area and beckoned me in one of the rooms where I could lie down and rest. "Do you need an extra sanitary napkin?" She asked as I clutched my stomach and feigned pain.

"No I'm fine, thanks." She nodded and suddenly she remembered something when she asked again.

"Do you have a note signed from a teacher?"

"No, actually. It happened during lunch hours so I came here first thing, before it worsened." I answered and mentally prayed that she wouldn't press me for further questions.

Before she could open her mouth again, my waterworks started again, which I'd been trying to hold onto since I stepped inside the infirmary. Jason and her mother had strikingly similar features, and everytime, I stared at those chocolate coloured eyes, it reminded me of his own.

Mrs. Samuels sometimes worked here, when she'd be duty free in her hospital.

"Shh, it's okay dear." She gently grabbed my shoulders to help me lie down on one of the beds , "Rest as much as you want,okay?"

I managed to nod and as soon as she left, my nose stinged and the endless tears rolled down my temples, soaking my hair.