Chapter 5.

Days passed on, and it didn't honestly matter to me because I was able to convince my mom that I was sick, so that I could just lay in bed and lament. My phone kept blasting with notifications from my friends and some from my classmates teasing me with Jason, who clearly blocked me on social media, even when he never followed me to begin with.

Seriously?

Humiliation got the best of me, and thank you Jason for making such fun of me in front of, oh wait, what's that?

The whole school.

It was easy to blame my friends for this fiasco, but I could've just waved awkwardly to Jason and his possé, retraced my steps back to my table, and smacked Beth and Jess on their heads.

After all, they were the ones so adamant for it.

What was the point of that whole pep talk I mentally went through, when I stood there limply in front of those light brown piercing eyes.

Why did I feel like smiling to myself when I saw Jason holding onto my words that day in the cafeteria, like that ray of hope expanding inside me, only to be crushed and stepped upon by Rebecca who interrupted.

And then I recalled the day in the infirmary when I caught him staring at me.

A knock interrupted my wrecking train of thoughts and I tried to sit up on my bed, but my sore body prevented me from doing it.

"Come in." I said weakly but that low decibel voice managed to penetrate through the door and the next thing, my mom was standing on the threshold with a broad smile on her face.

"How are you feeling?" I felt a surge of guilt seep through me yet again, when I saw my mother look at me with concern.

She had signed in for a weeks leave in her office, so she could look after me.

And I wasn't completely lying when I called in sick at school; me crying everyday resulted in a runny nose, a headache and swollen eyes, and also the agony in my heart travelled to every limb and bone in my body, giving me a bodyache as well.

And the PMSing as well.

Of course, she knew I had been weeping and rolling like a lost cause since the past five days. She always gave me time and we both knew that I'd tell her how unusually bad my period was when the sadness toned down.

"I'm fine mom." I nodded and smiled reassuringly at her.

She did the same in response and muttered an "okay" and "I'm just downstairs, call me if you need anything" before shutting the door slowly and descending down to the ground floor.

It's silly I know.

That a guy could have such a crazy effect on you.

He treated me like a nobody to begin with.

And I was acting like he'd just abandoned me with his baby and left me alone to deal with the labour.

He was going about his daily routine, like nothing ever happened and just rolled his eyes, probably when someone hollered out my name in the school hallways.

And here I was, drowning myself in psychosomatic illness while he played fireworks with Rebecca and 'dodge Eleanor whenever she was nearby.'

It wouldn't have been easy for anyone to talk themselves out of not feeling heartbroken anymore, but that was because they were in a freaking relationship.

I feel stupid now.

Have to blame the stupid Rom-Coms and smitten love novels I kept reading all summer.