Chapter 9

Unpredictable.

The most unpredictable thing that happened to me was Jason Samuels striding his long legs in my direction and blowing the apology dust on my face. Let's just say that the kind of feelings that followed by in my mind were unexplainable.

Okay maybe I was making a big deal out of this, but trust me— take my shoes, wear them and see how it feels to be in my place.

After he apologised, he did the next unpredictable thing. He and his friend George began sitting with us during lunch hours and if either of them shared a class with me, they wouldn't mind walking towards me to casually start a conversation.

I mean I wasn't complaining. But I did feel a bit awkward to sit beside the guy I had a crush on and the fact that he knew how I felt about him when he didn't reciprocate the same made me want to a dig a whole grave, sit in the hollow space and cup the dirt on me. 

Rebecca was more reluctant to sit with us as I mentioned earlier that Jessica, Paris and Sarah had some bad blood against her which they hadn't yet opened up to me and Bethany.

Anyway, she glanced at Jason for hope, but he had already made up his mind to sit on his new lunch table and so she sulkily sat on her seat before shooting us five disgusted looks.

Jessica, Paris and Sarah tried to ignore her as much as they could as they wanted to concentrate more on the newcomers at our table.

Speaking of the newcomers, Jason was a bit shy and conscious as he sat with us given that he didn't know me and Beth as well as he knew the three girls.

But I guess it takes time to open up to someone, you know, to whom you insulted and then apologised in front of everyone.

I, on the other hand was confused on how to react to all of this. It seemed more like the heartbreaking moment when your lottery number is not flashed on the TV screen but then the anchor suddenly announces your digits and says, "so what if you didn't win 5 million dollars? Here's a free oven!"

"Where is everyone going for summer?" George casually throws the question on the table and Rebecca seems too eager to share as she's the first one to grab it.

"Well," she flips her hair as she continues, "My parents have booked the Four Seasons resort on the Seychelles island," she scans our bland expressions and even though there is a flicker of disappointment in her eyes she masks them and continues, "it is one of the most expensive and luxurious resorts in the Seychelles and it sits on a hilltop."

"Yeah it's a pretty photogenic place." Jason puts in and then starts to reconsider his choice of words for a minute.

"It made sense Jason." I nodded at him in assurance and he seemed a bit shocked at my observance.

I was just about to dive into regret when I stopped and saw him giving me an amused smile.

We both tried to behave as normally as we could and honestly the kind of nonchalant behaviour Jason had around me was the reason I was getting comfortable with him as the days passed.

Rebecca held a very scrutinising gaze when we both spoke and it seemed that she didn't like the idea that Jason was speaking to me. Her friend seemed to noticed it and I could say that he was on the verge of getting annoyed by her dominance.

When he and George came up to our table and politely asked if they could join us, Rebecca interfered and tried talking Jason out of it. She began with a long list of excuses that could possibly convince him otherwise according to her but one made Jason incline to shut her mouth. She seemed to have a rush of adrenaline as she went on about how she knew girls like me and their sadistic behaviours. Her eyes seemed to be exchanged by fire as she smirked at me and called me a promiscuous teenager to my face.

Jason seemed to have had enough when he literally shouted a big, "shut up!" to Rebecca who stopped on his command and looked at him dumbfounded. I seriously had no clue about the relationship between him and public apologies because he made her apologise to me in front of whoever was listening to us in the cafeteria and after practically threatening her to carry her tray to another table if she wouldn't do as he said, she muttered a half-hearted 'sorry' at me to which I just nodded in response.

It really didn't matter what she thought about me so I never even considered her words so much that she had to apologise. But I kept quiet because angry Jason looked quite dangerous.

I also wanted to believe that maybe Jason felt something for me........maybe, maybe.

But I shook my head and brushed those thoughts away, as I rationalised that maybe it's the guilt that made him act this way.

"What about you Eleanor?" Beth asked as she popped a French fry in her mouth.

"A place called nowhere." I distractedly answered and stole a few fries from my friends tray who didn't protest.

"Hey what a coincidence," Jason said matching my sarcasm, "that is my summer destination this year."

"What?" George looked at him in disbelief, "When were you going to tell me?" He unlocked his arm with Sarah's who seemed a little disappointed by the withdrawal but didn't object. They both were always high on the PDA side and no matter how much we shouted at them to 'get a room!' they just laughed at us and continued with their fondness.

The way George reacted though seemed like him and Jason had planned for a trip together.

"Today," Jason sighed out loud, all sarcasm tossed away. He tensed up as he realised everyone was now looking at him with concern. He rubbed his face and ran a hand through his hair, making them stick out in all directions.

I tried not to concentrate on how hot he looked right now and how much my hands itched to run through his golden tresses and—

Okay stopping now.

"Everything alright Jason?" I asked and he just gave a small smile in my direction.

"It's my grandfather." He looked torn, "He is sick."

Sarah, Jessica and Paris seemed shocked to hear about this and they all agreed in unison to drop by and visit him. Rebecca, on the other hand, placed her hand on Jason's who only looked up at her to smile for a few seconds. She made no attempt to withdraw it back and I felt a pang of jealousy hitting me.

I immediately looked away. I didn't want thoughts like these crowding my mind.

George shook his head and gave his friend a pat on the back, "I won't be going anywhere without you," he said and stopped Jason who was too keen to protest, "We'll go some other time."

But Jason was too adamant in convincing his friend that he shouldn't stay behind and not go to Bangkok just because he couldn't. He even dragged Sarah into this by proposing that they should go together since the tickets and accommodations were already paid for.

After a lot of persuasion and a bit rattling from Jason's side, they both reluctantly agreed.

Soon the bell went off and we all began to collect our things as we made our way out of the cafeteria.

I didn't know what had gotten into me but before Jason could leave I blurted out, "Will it be okay if I drop by your house and visit your grandfather?"

I might be dreaming but I saw his eyes light up. I knew that Sarah, Jessica and Paris would be there so that would make things less awkward with my presence.

"Yes thanks El." He said and then as if unsure about something he asked, "Is it okay if I call you El?"

I shrugged in response not giving away that there were a bunch of fireworks going off inside me.