11: Who Are You And Why Are You Overpowered?

In case you guys forgot, I was dying.

Remember, a couple chapters ago? An entire skyscraper flattening me? A javelin chilling in my chest? A deranged telekinetic supervillain deciding he didn't like me all that much anymore? 

I was on both knees, my vision going in and out of focus, the blood from the gaping cavity in what I think was the left half of my body oozing into a pool beneath me.

I could barely hear my thoughts over my desperate wheezing attempts at breathing, looking around frantically for anything that could give me a fighting chance out of this hopeless situation. 

"There's no point, you know," Tenebros growled smugly, advancing towards me in a menacing saunter, just as my eyes landed upon the fancy disintegrator ray thingamajig about twenty feet away from me.

Shit, that's probably my only hope, I told myself.

"Stop telling yourself you have any hope," smirked Tenebros, rubbing his chin absentmindedly and surveying the destruction around him with delight.

The entire main road was rubble, and vehicles and buildings had been decimated as far as the eye could see. The occasional fire didn't help the look of things, and I could hear screams in the distance, presumably originating from the area where two entire freaking skyscrapers had been plucked out of their spots and thrown at even more buildings, resulting in even more death and destruction. 

What in Buttercup Crumblesnatch's name am I up against? Should I just die? Dying seems pretty good right about now. Seriously what in the actual heck is this dude? Why won't he even get tired? He's still smiling ohmygod-

These were the thoughts running through my head, only with a lot more cursing.

More screams- from much closer?

No- they weren't  ahead of me- they were above me. From inside the building that was slowly but surely turning me into filo dough, I heard hundreds of mortified voices screaming for help.

I gritted my teeth. 

I was The City's hero. The people needed me, and all I'd been doing the entire time was trying to prove that I was better than some psychic psycho? Lives had been in danger, and I didn't doubt that I was unable to save them all, but they still were about to be snuffed out, and like Mr. Wen had said in the previous chapter, it was my duty to do what was right and try my best to save th-

Tenebros made one nonchalant hand gesture and the skyscraper somehow became even heavier, crushing me further into the smashed concrete and onto my hands and knees.

Oof. 

Yeah never mind. 

Screw valour and honour and all that nonsense.

My back, the only thing preventing the untimely death of who knows how many poor souls via Humongous Tower Pancake Squash, me included, had a seven-foot piece of steel sticking through it. 

I was so done with it all. 

What would everyone think of a university kid being The Paladin?- oh wait, Tenebros would probably kill them all before they would ever have the chance to find out. Heh, I don't even have any loved ones to think about if this really is the end. Wen, if you're reading this, you're a pretty cool history teacher, I guess. The other MCs seem pretty chill too. Except the one who's successfully killing me right now. You suck.

Author, you suck too.

The sheer weight forced me to bow my head.

Tenebros probably batted his eyelashes innocently at me but I was too busy dying to notice. "Can't even look me in the eye- when you're about to die?"