a dark morning

Thump thump thump.

The sudden clanging woke me out of my deep sleep, and I groaned.

Thump bang thump.

I rolled into my side and gave a glance at my clock; 4:03 am, no wonder I was so groggy. It was most likely my dog, Badger, wanting to be let out to do what he does.

"Mommm, go let Badger outttt!" I whined, my voice screechy from not talking in a couple hours.

There was no response and I sighed, the banging still ongoing. I grumbled, the noise was too great for me to get back to sleep, and so I swung my legs over the side of the bed and sleepily chucked on a robe and a pair of fluffy baby blue slippers.

I opened my door, creeping along the hallway to my mothers room - cute and gently adorned, just like her. Albeit empty. The sheets were strewn about, a clear sign that she had gotten up in a hurry, as she always made the time to make the bed any other time.

"Well, she might have gone to attend to Badger," I thought, though the banging and the lack of a response from her was making my stomach turn.

I snuck back to my room and pulled out the pocket knife mom had bought for my eleventh birthday, in case I needed to protect myself. Not the usual present, but I cherished it, and kept it in my coat pocket at all times when I left the house.

Stuffing it in my pocket, my hand grasped tightly around the handle, I tiptoed down the stairs, careful not to let them creak too much under my pressure. I approached the downstairs door and turned the handle.

My breath caught in my throat.

"M-mom?" I breathed.

She was right there in front of me. Motionless. Light brown hair tangled and stained with dry blood. Her tan skin now pale and twinged with grey. Blue eyes wide open and staring at nothing. Her red satin pyjamas absorbed the blood, hardly a difference in colour where it splattered. One pupil dilated and one constricted - usually caused by extreme and sudden head trauma.

I took everything in, as little as I actually wanted to, and it was too much to bear. The room was spinning and I couldn't breath. There was a thumping in my head that just grew. And grew. And grew until I couldn't...

I didn't hear the thump as I fell to the floor.