art class

Gotham Academy was a larger school than I once thought.

The place was split into several sections, such as the library, the main building and the gymnasium, however a lot of the land was occupied by sports area. A large running track, an American football field and a swimming pool could be found on the north side of the school campus, and posters dotted along every wall supported the emphasis on sports.

The last principal, a Dr Fine, was busted by the GCPD for smuggling cocaine, and it was reported that he ran faster than any other fifty-five year old man they'd ever seen.

Violet and I finished our tour of the school, and I couldn't help but admit that I was a little out of breath. My feet also seemed to be rejecting the black leather shoes I thought I would be required to wear; tomorrow it would definitely be trainers.

"What clubs are there around here?" I asked, taking a glance at the myriad of multicoloured posters around the halls. "Some of the posters are a little confusing."

"Errr... well there's the general sports ones, the soccer and track, y'know," she started, counting on her fingers and looking up as if she was mentally exploring her brain. "There's chess, though I think a member attacked another student with chess pieces, so that might be suspended for a while. I think there's a D&D group, albeit they don't really like new members joining, so we might not be welcome there." She rubbed her neck. "You're better off asking someone with their shit together."

I caught a look at a bright blue and pink poster that had been neatly stapled onto the wall.

"Cheerleading?" I read from the piece of paper, before turning back to Violet with a splitting grin. "You have cheerleading?"

Violet scrunched up her nose. "Every school in America does, have you been living under a rock?"

Her comment didn't shake me and I continued to beam. "I was homeschooled, but cheerleading looks like so much fun on TV!"

She looked a little uncomfortable. "Well it's not all it's made out to be, so it's probably not a good idea-"

"Come on, it'll be fun! You do want me to experience all this school has to offer, don't you?" I cut her off, she was probably just being nervous, and if there's one thing I wasn't, it was nervous. Although I wasn't the girliest girl, a dream of mine when I was younger was to be a part of a cheerleading squad, and be one of those people that gets held right at the top.

She sighed. "Fine, but if you hate it I can say I told you so." she murmured, defeated.

I pulled her in for a big hug. "Oh thanks, bud! School is turning out to be so good!"

I heard Violet sigh once again, but this time it was slightly more positive. "You haven't even had lessons yet, dummy," she replied, smiling even as I pulled away. She slung an arm through my arm, and we started to walk. "Now lets get to Art, the bell's gonna go soon."

The art rooms were found in the main building, and were fairly small, with large tables were students sat around with their canvases at an angle. Colourful drawings and detailed sketches adorned every part of the walls, leaving no white paint showing from behind. We were some of the last to arrive, and so the two of us slung ourselves down around a table near the back.

Violet gave a large grin to a black boy sat a short distance across the table, and he gave an uninspired one in return. He seemed tired, and paused to rub his dark eyes under his thick rimmed glasses.

She turned to gesture at me. "Daisy, this is Tuamaguluka David." she introduced.

The boy rolled his eyes, and played with the black fishnet top that he wore under his short sleeved school shirt. "Literally no one calls me that, apart from my mother. It's Luka, nice to meet you." he added, in a flat, low tone.