conciousness

I took a large gulp of air and sat up with a start. My skin was cold and I felt sweat run down my neck.

"Honey bun!" the familiar voice of my neighbour, Mrs Okeke filled my senses and I winced. I gently opened my eyes and squinted at the bright morning light flooding through the windows, but saw her sat beside me, with a look of concern on her face. "I'm so glad you're okay."

"Wha-?" I murmured, looking around. "What's going on? Where's mom?"

I was sat in what looked like a medical room, on a hospital bed. Still wearing my pyjamas, robe and my slippers, but not in my own bed, I assumed I was in one of those anxiety dreams, like when you're naked in a public place.

There were two people on the other side of the room taking, dressed in black police uniform, with a badge on their arm that read "Baltimore Police". I frowned - why would I be in a police station?

Mrs Okeke looked down at the ground but grabbed my hands. "Do you remember what happened last night?" she asked, almost whispering.

There was nothing for a moment and then it all came flooding back - all of the blood framing my mother's face, that banging still echoing in my head. My heart dropped to the floor, and if it hadn't had been for me sitting on the bed, I would have fainted again. White blonde hair flopped in front of my eyes, and hid the burning tears that rolled down my cheeks.

It was quiet, and so I could hear the conversation of the two nearby police officers.

"Yeah, victim was a fourty-four year old woman, killed in a burglary gone wrong, poor broad."

"I saw the scans, nasty blow to the head. She must have died almost instantly."

"Ha, not before she took out a few of the robbers, slit two of their throats-"

"What kind of woman knows how to take out several men without taking more than ons hit?"

"A crazy one."

The two of them burst out laughing, and Mrs Okeke threw them a sharp glare and opened her mouth to shout obscenities.

Before the woman could do something she'd regret, the door to the room opened and a smartly dressed woman entered in a beige dress suit, and with her dark brown hair pulled back from her face.

"Ms Doe, you're finally awake." she chirped, smiling kindly, though it looked rather forced. "I'm Detective Ramirez, now if you'd like to come with me." She held open the door, and gave a motion with her hand.

Mrs Okeke frowned. "The poor girl has just come to, can this not happen some other time?"

Detective Ramirez's smile fell, and she exhaled slightly in annoyance. "I'm afraid this cannot wait, it's a matter of importance and if it isn't sorted out soon, it shall never be sorted. And I'm sure Ms Doe has questions."

I nodded and got up,  though my legs were a little shaky and I nearly crashed to the floor. Steadying myself, I got up and walked toward the Detective, my neighbour following right behind me.

"Mrs Odeke, was it? I'd like to just talk to Ms Doe alone if that's alright." the detective said, sternly.

"Adanna Okeke." the woman corrected her, her jaw clenched. "And I'm a neighbour and a close friend of Marcie's mother, so I'd like to help how I can. Plus Marcie has just gone through something terrible and I'm sure she'd rather have someone familiar there, when she's surrounded by strange cops."

"Yes, but she's seventeen, I'm sure she can cope with being in an unfamiliar place for at least ten minutes." the Detective retorted. She led me through the doorway.