9

Bucky woke up with a start. Normally, that wouldn't wake Natasha, but seeing as he was holding on to her, he'd jolted her awake.

Steve had never been more surprised to be faced with the barrel of a gun.

"Where were you even hiding that?" Steve asked as Natasha set the weapon down on the short dresser.

"What the hell are you sneaking in here for?" Bucky asked, pulling his arm from under Natasha and sitting up.

"I came to ask you just when you were planning on letting me know you're all fixed up."

"Right, about that . . . who told you, again?"

"Was it the kid?" Natasha asked.

"I can't believe you two threatened Peter's internet connection."

"I can't believe he felt threatened by us when he has two geniuses that adore him," Natasha grumbled, standing up and stretching as a yawn escaped her.

"You never answered my question," Bucky told Steve.

"I did."

"I didn't ask what you were doing in Wakanda. I asked what you were doing in our bedroom."

"Our bedroom?" Steve echoed as Natasha walked past him to grab the shawl hanging over the back of the chair. "First of all, this whole thing is one room."

"Second?" Bucky asked after a few seconds of silence.

Natasha grinned as she walked over to Bucky. "You stunned him, Soldier," she said, tying the blue material over his left shoulder.

"And here I thought that was your forté," Bucky told her, tilting his head back and smiling.

"I have never," Steve said, staring at Natasha, "in all the time I've known you, ever seen such a soft look on your face."

Natasha leaned against Bucky and gave Steve a smile. "Well, we've discovered that the best way to not be constantly annoyed is to simply avoid everyone."

"Except the royal family and on occasion, Parker."

"Except them," Natasha amended, nodding.

Steve sighed and dragged his hand over his face. "This is so strange," he whispered, mainly to himself.

"What, do you want us to visit you?" Bucky asked.

"Now and then would be nice, yeah. Tony's got the whole place cloaked and shielded. It's incredible, actually. Pepper hates it, but she's tolerating it and us. You'll love her, Buck, she's got her head screwed on properly."

"I feel like that's a not-so-subtle jab at me," Natasha said with a frown, "but I'm going to let it slide because Barnes likes you."

"Screw it," Bucky told her with a grin, "let's shoot Steve in the knee."

While Natasha smiled in amusement, Steve's jaw dropped. He shook his head. "Look, we squeezed it out of Peter that you're both fine now. Come home?"

Natasha shrugged. "Steve . . . this feels like home to me. It hasn't been that long, but I've gotten used to being here. The city is a thrilling adventure, can you believe it? Shuri keeps getting Barnes and I to test out equipment she's always improvising. Peter swings in every odd weekend and I get to sit and talk to him about what the Avengers were like back when there were just six of us. Can you tell me without a shadow of doubt that you ever expected me to develop the baking skills of a professional chef?"

Bucky nodded earnestly. "She bakes really well."

"I bake ridiculous-shaped cakes and biscuits with a goddamn queen. The compound, wherever it is, is your home but this?" Steve noticed the way she leaned closer to Bucky, tightening her hold on him ever so slightly, "this is my home."