13

Natasha should have known better than to open her mouth. The time that went by was rather nice, but September brought with it a few . . . disasters.

First there was Peter who called to say he wouldn't be making a visit anytime soon, seeing as he'd gotten his suit taken by Tony. Then, when Shuri couldn't wait any longer and called to ask how the homecoming dance went, they found out Peter had come within an inch of his life. He claimed to be fine, especially when Shuri said she would leave Wakanda to see how he was doing. On the other hand, he said he'd had fun in Washington and that he'd managed almost half a dance with Liz Allen.

After that little scare, Natasha was very upset to be woken by the king of Wakanda knocking at her bedroom door.

"Go and tell him to jump off a cliff," Natasha grumbled, further curling around the little girl that slept in her arms.

"You tell him," Bucky grumbled, moving closer to the warmth Natasha's body provided.

When T'Challa knocked again, Bucky sighed and went to open the door.

"We have a problem."

~~||~~

"Stay with Umkhulu," Natasha told Anya firmly, glancing up at Ramonda, "do you understand me, angel?"

Anya nodded, holding tight to the disc Shuri had given her so long ago. "Where's Mamma going?"

"Mamma's going to go and save the world, babygirl."

"Will Mamma come back?"

"Mamma will try her hardest."

Anya's lip trembled. "What if Mamma doesn't come back?"

Natasha thought about promising Anya that she would return, but the thought crossed her mind that she just might not. Natasha gave her daughter a hug and kissed her forehead. "Then remember that Mamma has always loved you and will always love you. If I don't come back, it's because I was saving you. Mamma would never leave you if she could help it."

Anya tried to blink tears out of her eyes. Natasha smiled. "Cry, angel, it's okay. Don't let anyone tell you crying is bad. It's okay to cry, angel."

Anya whimpered. "I don't want Mamma and Daddy to go. I -- I don't --"

"I know, angel," Natasha said, pulling Anya into a tight hug.

"Please come back," the six year old child whispered.

"Mamma will try her hardest," Natasha promised. Then she stood up and walked away, leaving her daughter with the queen.

~~||~~

"Upgrade?" Bucky asked, taking in the suit Natasha donned.

"Infused with Vibranium. You know, there's something I always wanted to ask you."

"Yeah?"

"What were you doing in the Smithsonian that day? How did you know you'd find information on yourself there?"

"I didn't. I had no idea who you were, where I'd seen you, or what you even did. But I recognised Steve when I saw Captain America all over the place. I went to the Smithsonian because I felt like I knew Steve. I never expected to learn that I knew Steve."

"Hydra was a bitch," Natasha said after a second.

"I won't deny that, but Hydra gave me you. It's the least they could've done after screwing me up so bad."

Natasha smiled as she pulled the last strap on her vest tight. "Is that a new arm?"

Bucky glanced at the onyx metal. "Shuri never stops upgrading. You know that."