18

Bucky slowly stood up and looked around him. "Widow?" He could faintly hear someone calling out for someone else. He hoped it was her. "Nat? Natalia!"

Wanda ran right into him. "Bucky!"

"Wanda. Where's Nat?"

"I don't know. Everyone's missing."

"Vision?"

Wanda shook her head. "He's gone."

Bucky studied her for a moment before pulling the young woman into a hug. "I'm sorry."

"Thanks."

Bucky waited for Wanda to pull away, knowing she was the one who needed the comfort.

"Find anyone else?" she asked.

"No. Nat was right in front of me. Steve, too. I haven't seen them."

"Let's go."

Bucky started to walk with Wanda. He stopped suddenly.

"What is it?"

"Anya."

"Who's that?"

"I need to go back," Bucky said, already leaving. Not about to be left clueless, Wanda followed, using her magic to keep up with Bucky.

Bucky stormed through his home. "Anya! Anya, where are you? Anastasia!"

"Dad?"

"Dad?" Wanda echoed.

"Daddy!"

"Anya!"

The pair rounded a corner and collided with three people. All five fell to the floor. Bucky waited while Ramonda fussed over him. Then she asked for her son.

"We don't know," Wanda answered honestly.

"Dad!" Anya scrambled off Shuri and wrapped her arms around Bucky.

"Who is this?" Wanda asked.

"Your niece," Bucky said without hesitation, "Anya."

"Where's Mamma?"

"I don't know, kroshka. I don't know."

Anya lifted her arms and waited for Bucky to stand and pick her up. "Mamma told me to stay with umkhulu. Mamma said -- she said -- she said she's going to try her best to come back. But she might not."

"I'm sure she'll do her best," Wanda promised. "We'll look for her," she added, glancing at Bucky, who nodded.

"Stay here, Anya. Stay --"

"Brother!"

Ramonda looked like she was going to faint. She had, by some miracle, recovered all three of her missing children. She hoped Natasha would return soon. She just wanted a peaceful dinner with all her children, and her granddaughter.

A portal opened in front of them.

"James."

"Pepper? What are you wearing? Who the hell is that?"

"I'm Strange. It's been --"

"Okay, so?" Shuri asked. "What's your name?"

Stephen sighed, choosing to ignore the question. "It's been five --"

"Who the hell is that?!"

Pepper tugged her daughter forward with a smile on her face. "This is Morgan, my daughter."

Bucky put Anya down. "This is Anastasia, my daughter."

"James, they need us."

"Where?" he asked, his gaze drifting back to the suit Pepper was wearing. "You look like Stark."

"I know. James, five years ago, Thanos came to earth with his Infinity Gauntlet and wiped out fifty percent of all living creatures after taking the Mind Stone from Vision. You -- and your daughter -- were part of that. They . . . well, it's tough to explain, but Tony figured out time travel and Thanos from nine years ago somehow managed to jump forward. They need us."

Bucky nodded, preparing himself to fight once more at Natasha's side.

"Morgan, stay here."

"Mommy, I want to come with you. I want to see dad."

Anya tugged her father's jacket. "I wanna see Mamma. I want to come too."

"Tell you what," Bucky said, getting down in front of both girls. "You stay here in Wakanda, and when this is all over, I'll let Shuri teach you to build a suit."

Anya's eyes lit up. Morgan frowned. "Like Mommy's and dad's?"

Knowing it would propel Morgan to stay where she was safe, Pepper nodded. "Exactly."

Anya held out her hand for Morgan. "Come meet umkhulu. It means grandmother. She's not actually my grandmother. I'm adopted, you see. . ."

"Thank you, James," Pepper said as she watched the girls walk behind Ramonda.

Bucky nodded. "Let's get going then."

Minutes later, once again armed with Natasha's gun, Bucky stepped through a portal beside Wanda, Shuri, T'Challa, and all the forces Wakanda had to offer.

He had never in his life seen such a massive army, and they were only half the size of the forces the Avengers were gathering.

From portals all around, armies spilled. Wakanda was not the only nation prepared to fight for the universe.

In the midst of destruction and flames, the Avengers multiplied. The Valkyrie rode her steed, leading the Asgardians. From another portal, the Skrull warriors emerged. From a third, Wong led the masters of the Mystic Arts, the golden glow of their magic stark against the darkness. Several Ravager ships flew from above. The Guardians and Spiderman joined the battle. From all corners of the universe, heroes entered the battlefield.

And Natasha was nowhere to be seen.

"Avengers!" Bucky saw Thor's hammer fly right into his best friend's hand. "Assemble."

~~||~~

"And I . . . am . . . Iron Man."

White light blinded Tony. When he opened his eyes, he was surrounded by a world of orange. Water soaked his shoes. His damaged armour was gone, replaced by his casual clothing. A single structure stood. Under it, a familiar braid of red locks gleamed at him.

"Nat?"

She turned at the sound of her name. "Did you do it?"

Tony nodded.

"What did it cost?"

"Nothing less than what it was worth."

Natasha smiled as he stepped closer to her shade. "Go. Say your goodbyes. You'll see me soon."

"Nat, I--"

"Go," she said again, gently, "say your goodbyes. Do what I never got the chance to. Tell them you love them. You'll have all of eternity to talk to me."

Tony blinked. When he opened his eyes, the last of Thanos faded into dust.

~~||~~

Hahaha I am Dead™