17

"See you in a minute," Natasha said to Steve, smiling excitedly at the prospect of time travel -- and space travel.

After dropping Nebula and Rhodey off on Morag in 2014, Clint and Natasha headed to Vormir in the same year.

"We're a long way from Budapest, huh?"

Natasha only laughed. After five years of a dark and dreary world, punctuated only by small and short visits to the Stark household, it was simply exhilarating to see the colours of the universe flash by as they travelled through the jump point. When they finally came up on Vormir, both stared at the planet in awe.

"Wow," Clint murmured, "under different circumstances, this would be totally awesome."

~~||~~

Climbing the mountain was . . . not so totally awesome.

"I bet the raccoon didn't have to climb a mountain," Natasha grumbled.

"Technically, he's not a raccoon, you know."

"Whatever. He eats garbage."

"Welcome."

Natasha and Clint both drew their weapons as a cloaked figure approached.

"Natasha," it said, looking at her," daughter of Ivan."

"Clint," it continued, turning to him, "son of Edith."

"Who are you?" Natasha asked.

"Consider me a guide. To you and to all who seek the Stone."

"Oh, good," Natasha said, "you tell us where it is, and we'll be on our way."

"If only it were that simple."

Natasha and Clint followed their 'guide' to the edge of the cliff.

"What you seek lies before you, as does what you fear."

"The stone is down there," Natasha said, looking over the edge at the deathly drop.

"For one of you. For the other . . . In order to take the stone, you must lose that which you love. An everlasting exchange. A soul for a soul."

"Shit."

~~||~~

Natasha sat on a log while Clint glared daggers at the Stonekeeper, as if it were his fault. Natasha pulled her necklace from under her suit, rubbing the locket as she thought about the man who had given it to her.

Whatever it takes.

The Wakandan disc knocked Natasha's fingers, and she glanced down at it. Her thoughts strayed from Bucky to Anya, the beautiful little girl who had called her 'Mamma' without any hesitation the moment she discovered why Natasha was there.

Whatever it takes.

She could help bring them back, but she wouldn't be there to welcome them. She would never see them again, just as they would never see her. Was that fair to either of them? She had lost a husband and a daughter. She was considering costing Bucky his wife and Anya her mother. But she had to.