29

BUT ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD

FROM THE BRUISES

FLOWERS GROW

The room visibly relaxes, the tension pouring out of their humble but strong crowd in one collective breath. People disperse. Candice is surrounded by warm open faces and smiles of support. Most, Tuesday presumes, don't know the extent of Kyle's misdeeds, but Alexis tears apart his character with such vehemence that she wonders if maybe even she knows about the bruise.

Tuesday squidges between two chorus members to try and reach her friend but her phone buzzes against her hip.

I'm sorry.

It's Max. She freezes, centre-stage, watching the messages roll in without unlocking her phone screen.

I don't think we can be friends anymore.

I was going to tell you how I felt that night but I was too drunk and angry, then the next morning was just weird.

I know you've been avoiding me. It's probably weird to be with someone and know they like you when you have a boyfriend. I understand.

Her heart almost stops for a second. Max likes her. The almost-kiss at his house wasn't her imagination.

The other people around her on the stage move slowly, blurring into one another, but her thoughts do the opposite.

helikesmehelikesmehelikeme

But then she looks up and Candice's face materialises through everyone. She's smiling but her eyes are sad. Tuesday can feel her stress and they look at each other, just for a moment.

Max needs to wait.

Unlocking her phone, she quickly taps out a message.

Can we talk tonight? I'll phone you.

The briefest of pauses.

Please don't stop being my friend.

Then she shoves her phone deep in her pocket.

When she gets to the centre of the crowd, Candice snatches her hand. Tuesday leads her away, down the stage steps, through all their friends, so well-meaning but stifling. There's a fire exit wedged open with a brick to let out some of the choking heat of so many performing bodies, and the girls let themselves out into the brisk Spring night air.

"Are you okay?" Tuesday asks, knowing it's a loaded question.

Candice laughs and nods. Two tears fall in mirrored lines down each cheek. "Honestly. I don't know why I'm crying."

"I do."

"Why?"

"I dunno. It's still a big deal." Tuesday scuffs the pavement with the tip of her black ankle boot. "Even if he was a shit. You're okay to miss him."

Candice's eyes are big, wide, round. "Am I?"

"Yeah. Just don't go back to him."

Candice laughs. "I won't."

"Good."

After a moment, Candice sighs. "I know it's stupid, but sometimes I'm worried. Like, it's such a big thing to find someone you like who likes you. Such an effort to build a relationship like that. What if no one ever likes me ever again?"