I.

REMINDER: I see a lot of minors reading this and all my other books and I want to make it Very clear (even tho I wrote it in the acknowledgements of this book AND in my profile bio, so it should already be crystal clear): I DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE HAVING MINORS READ MY STORIES! Pls go read someone else's books if you're under 18!

Friday, 5 July 2019

Venus realised a couple things could've prevented her from finding herself in her current position

Venus realised a couple things could've prevented her from finding herself in her current position. And by a couple of things she meant her brain, mouth, and tongue. If her brain hadn't given her the idea, then she wouldn't have opened her mouth, if she hadn't opened her mouth her tongue wouldn't have moved, and if her tongue hadn't moved, she wouldn't have been here. What was with her impulse to make people happy? Why was she always ready to sacrifice her own happiness for people that wouldn't do the same for her? It never made any sense.

She thought back to the moment she regretted the most, what started it all, and rolled her eyes.

Upon entering the hospital, she had been worried. Actually worried that her sister might be seriously hurt. She ran up to the reception desk, begged for her sister's room number and floor, and then ran some more. The mere fact that she ran to her sister was a compliment in itself. Venus couldn't remember a time prior to this one when she had done anything but walk at a normal pace. She got a few looks, nearly bumped into an old man walking with his cane, and even almost faceplanted, but she told herself she'd reach Portia in no time and everything would be fine. She'd know Portia was okay, Venus could calm down, and she could go back home to her tiny flat. Reaching the door, she swung it open, only to see Portia crying hysterically. She stopped and their eyes met.

"Oh, my God, Venus," she said, wiping some tears away. "Did mum call you while you were in the shower?"

Venus felt stupid for being worried then and there. She sighed. "No, I've been running."

Portia went right back to crying, burying her face in her hands and looking so miserable Venus thought it was almost comical. Their mum, Elaine, rubbed Portia's back for comfort, brows in a sad furrow. Venus sat down in one of the two chairs in the room, trying to calm her breathing and get a better sense of the situation around her. She didn't get much of a chance, however, because suddenly Portia started wailing again.

"This is the worst day of my life."

"Tia, don't say that." Elaine scolded.

Portia dragged both her hands through her long, dark hair, mascara streaks down her cheeks, and her brown eyes red from constant crying for what probably had to be hours. "It's the truth."

"You're going to have worse days than this one, isn't that right, Venus?"

Venus looked over at their mother, seeing her stern eyes and pointed stare. It was the kind of look Elaine would give Venus when she wanted her to be the hero. As if hearing reassuring words from Venus would make Portia change her mind and see that life wasn't all that bad after all.