II.

Wednesday, 10 July 2019

Turned out, finding your way around a small Italian village was hard

Turned out, finding your way around a small Italian village was hard. Venus had gotten dressed, looked in her fridge, and groaned out loud when she realised she'd eaten her last bit of food the day before. It was now time for her to find a supermarket, and hopefully they had something she liked there.

She wasn't a picky eater. If she was served a sandwich at a restaurant and she saw that there was a few tomato slices and cucumber in it, she'd simply pick them out and eat the sandwich. She was sure she would find something that tickled her fancy once she was at the market, in fact, she was quite looking forward to exploring the different aisles and the products Italy had to offer. It would be a change from the bland life at home in England.

The sun was beating down on the small Italian village, the occasional gust of mountain wind cooling Venus down as she walked along the old brown cobblestone. She strolled passed cafes and though the waft of baked goods, coffee, and something sweet was inviting, she walked on, determined to find someplace resembling a shop. After some minutes, her stomach started grumbling, and immediately the reason behind her quest had changed. She simply just needed something to eat by this point.

Rounding a corner, she was suddenly hit with the delicious smell of what could only be pastry of some kind. Walking closer, she noticed a sign that said 'Panetteria', and though she had no idea what that really meant, she got an idea when looking in through the windows. The sun shone through them, lighting up the tiny bakery and making it appear to be made purely out of gold. The door was open, and Venus could hear someone talking from the inside, two people standing by the counter and a man behind it, handing their change back. Eager to get a closer look at the food, Venus walked into one of the rusty aluminium bistro chairs placed in front. It scraped loudly against the cobblestone.

"Bugger." She hissed under her breath, quickly putting it back in place.

Glancing up, she noticed everyone inside the bakery looking at her. She felt her cheeks grow hot. The two customers left after saying something Venus could only assume was 'goodbye' in Italian. She walked inside, feeling her thigh ache a little where it had hit the chair. It was very small, only a desk, a lincat on each side of it, two more tables, and a very handsome cashier. She tried not to look at him, knowing it would just made her blush and stutter. Glancing at the display of all the different baked goods there was to choose from, Venus felt her mouth water in anticipation of the breakfast she was about to have.

"Buon giorno, cosa ti porto?"

She looked up at him then, her heart instantly picking up speed. He had dark hair, long enough to be put behind his ears, a stubble that matched. Along with deep brown eyes that would make any person to which he stared at feel as if they were part of something special; as if nothing mattered but them. He wore a white tee shirt, showing off his toned arms with defined black terminal hair, some of his chest showing too with the deep V-neck. He gave Venus a little smile, something in his eyes glistening.