Chapter Five

"Levi! Levi!"

"Yes?"

Her face flushed instantly. His cool grey eyes narrowed at her. "Have you ever been in love?"

This question took him by surprise. He even felt a slight pink color reach his cheeks. 'What a random question,' he thought to himself. Finally, exhaling a sigh, he says, "No."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"You don't even love me?" she now asks, her hazel eyes glimmering.

"You're just a brat," he answers, grabbing her hand. "Come on, it's getting late. You need to be in bed soon."

"I'm thirteen, Levi!" she pouts. "I don't need a bed time!"

He rolls his eyes. "Brat," he repeats.  

She can't help but smile. No matter how much he denied it, he did love her.

~~

"Erwin," he says, appearing in the Commander's doorway. The blonde raises his eyebrows at him. "I'd like to talk to you about that appeal I want to send to-"

"The Military Police, yes," Erwin finishes for him. The short soldier crosses his arms. "I deny your appeal."

The black haired soldier looks at him angrily. "She's not fit to be a soldier."

"So sending her to the MP will help, Levi?" the Commander counters.

"They've never even seen a real Titan before. A member of the MP hasn't died in combat since its inception."

"Levi," Erwin starts. "The Corps are low on membership. Too many soldiers are too afraid to enlist here. We cannot afford to let a member go, and that's final."

"Erwin!" Levi yells, fists clenched. "She can't come on that expedition... She just...can't."

"Levi," Erwin sighs, putting one of his large hands on the Captain's shoulders. "Are you sure you don't know her? Because you… you say you dont."

Levi, whose face is looking at the ground, peers his eyes up at the Commander. He noticed now that he was trembling. "You could say that."

"How?"