Chapter Seven

"Commander," Levi says, causing his superior to turn around.

"Levi!" Erwin smiles brightly. "Everything okay with Eren?"

"Yes, the brat is fine," he says, exhaling a heavy sigh. "I have something to ask of you for the expedition."

"Let me guess-"

"It's about Nora Westfield."

"It always is," Erwin mumbles under his breath with a small chuckle. He ignores the glare of Levi and continues. "We need her to go on this expedition, Levi."

"I know, but I have a request."

"I'm listening."

"She's weak."

"She's small, yes, but she's quick."

"She can't kill."

"She doesn't have to; she just needs to dodge."

"Let her be in my squad."

Erwin brings his hand under his chin to think. After a few seconds, he sighs. "I know you want to look after her, Levi, but I can't have her with you."

"And why is that?" the shorter mall asks, angered.

"Your duty is Eren Jaeger, be it protecting him or killing him. I cannot have you occupied with her safety as well."

"But-"

"And besides," he cuts Levi off. "Having a Titan shifter around will attract danger. It's safest she's away from you."

The young captain clenches his fists in frustration. "I want someone to watch her," Levi suddenly announces. "Someone she trusts, so she doesn't get suspicious."

Erwin silently moves to one of the filing cabinets in the office. "According to the records, she was eleventh in her class, yes?" Levi nods. Erwin pulls out a file. "Mikasa Ackerman was first, but she'd be too worried about Eren to be of help. Reiner Braun was second in his class, why not him?"

"Have him watch her?"

"He is strong, Levi. He is said to have great physical abilities as well as judgement and teamwork."

"I want her in the best squad of trainees, then. I don't want her to think I don't trust her abilities."