THREE

THREE | ONE TOO MANY
REPULSIVE BEINGS

TWO INITIATES WERE LEFT behind on the roof when the rest jumped onto the train, leaving them sobbing and faction-less

TWO INITIATES WERE LEFT behind on the roof when the rest jumped onto the train, leaving them sobbing and faction-less. It only proved how easy it was to fail, but if they had jumped and tried to make it, the circumstances would certainly be different. Zora was sure they would make a good life while they could, for all of them were only 16. But it scared the girl nonetheless, when would it be her turn to fail?

The initiates stood closely together on the train, mindlessly chattering with others from their old faction. Zora looked around in hopes of a close friend, but her eyes only landed on the boy she sat next to during The Choosing Ceremony. He was alone like she was, but it made more sense for him. That boy smelled bad and was repulsive, who would want to talk to him? Zora on the other hand just looked like a socially awkward Erudite who kept their head in books. To everyone around them, they both were repulsive.

Zora decided against making conversation with anyone, she would rather save her energy than talk with someone that would later be competition. A friend or two would be extremely helpful, but she just wasn't ready to do anything yet. The other transfers left their whole lives behind just like she did, so why didn't they look like they felt bad? It looked as if they forgot their families the instant they chose. Zora wanted to forget hers until visiting day, but it's always easier said than done.

"Lonely?" A girl from Amity asked Zora, raising an eyebrow questioningly.

"You could say that."

"I could say that, and it would be true." Dirt covered her hands and parts of her legs, flower petals and bits of grass scattered about on her mid-length skirt and tucked in shirt.

Zora only chuckled at the girl, slightly shocked by the amount of confidence she appeared to have. For a transfer from Amity, the girl wasn't exactly expecting someone so strong and tall. The Amity transfer was way taller than Zora, making her feel like a tiny ant ready to be crushed by the foot of a child. Her height was only a genetic thing, but was her strength preparation for The Choosing Ceremony, or just something gained from working on the farms?

Some girls from Amity were rather fraile, leaving their chances in Dauntless very little.

"What makes you so sure, Amity?"

"Well, Erudite, you skeptically looking around says it all," the taller girl admitted, pushing her curly hair out of her eyes. She leaned against the wall of the train, letting out a sigh. The girl continued her speech, "I say that you need a friend."

"You might be right," Zora admitted.

"Like I said, it would be true," the taller transfer cocked her head to the side as she looked at Zora. A few grass pieces fell from her hair and drifted softly to the hard floor of the train, but it was too crowded for anyone else to hardly even notice.