Abnegation

The Selfless

Core Belief: "Them before I."

Values

If asked, the Abnegation would insist that what they believe in, and the values they prize, are of little importance compared to what they think a person ought to do. Therefore, to say that the Abnegation value selflessness and self-denial is to fail to comprehend the faction as it comprehends itself.
Even the faction's name furthers this attitude. Left to their own devices, the Abnegation choose a name that is closely related to a behavior, rather than a quality (Candor, Erudite, Dauntless), or a goal (Amity), emphasizing action rather than identity. Most of their teachings involve the how of behavior and very little of the why. Even the why that exists serves only to inform the how, and not to explain the faction to outsiders--or even to members. Every faction norm, including ritual, language, and style if dress, is designed to encourage acts of self denial.

Faction Norms

Jobs

The most prominent role the Abnegation play in city life is in government. A council of Abnegation leaders makes all political decisions, and all projects that extend beyond the reach of the faction must be submitted to them for approval. The Abnegation can train to be elementary school teachers, nurses (with permission from Erudite leaders), firefighters (with permission from Dauntless leaders), morticians, or to do administrative tasks or "background work" in a variety of sectors. Additionally, they often choose to work among the factionless to improve quality of life.

Family Life

The Abnegation adhere as strictly as possible to the traditional family model: husband, wife, and two children. If an Abnegation member of marriageable age cannot find a spouse, the faction will find one for him or her. Remaining single is an option for those who do not wish to marry, but it is an option that necessarily excludes intimate companionship, and requires dedication to serving the community. Single or widowed individuals live in group housing, separated by gender.

Clothing

The official color of Abnegation is gray; therefore, their wardrobe consists entirely of gray clothing. Most of this clothing this clothing is loose, so as to preserve modesty and discourage ogling, and made of synthetic fabrics, because they are easy for the factionless to produce and always available. No adornments are allowed except for those that serve a practical purpose: rubber bands and clips to pull back hair, watches, spectacles, and so on. The rumor that the Abnegation wear an arm band specifically designed to induce discomfort is false, and in fact reveals the other factions' lack of understanding of Abnegation teachings. (Constant discomfort would mean constant self-reflection, something the Abnegation discourage.)

Inter-Faction Relations

While the Abnegation would deny harboring resentment toward any other faction, it is well known that they exhibit an obvious distaste for Erudite. This is perhaps because that believe the Erudite lifestyle, which centers around the individual's pursuit of knowledge, creativity, and innovation, is inherently selfish, or because of Abnegation discouragement of curiosity, something the Erudite promote among their members. The Abnegation have a particularly good relationship with Amity, and often work together on city improvement projects.

Choosing Ceremony Substance: Stones

The Abnegation view stone as the most useful and stable material available, since it forms our roads and the majority of our homes. Usefulness and stability are two qualities the Abnegation, in particular, appreciate. It also reflects the gray color of their faction, clothing, and even their sector of the city.